Best Practices – The NIH Other Support document
Best Practices for the UNC School of Medicine Researcher
The NIH Other Support document
It is important to focus on required content rather than format.
Reach out to the School of Medicine’s, Sponsored Programs Office (SPO) leadership team if you have questions or to request an informational meeting as needed. SPO – Sherry Whitaker – firstname.lastname@example.org
The Other Support document is to include all resources made available to a researcher in support of and/or related to all of their research endeavors, regardless of whether or not they have monetary value and regardless of whether they are based at the institution the researcher identifies for the current grant.
- Get started – download the Office of Sponsored Research Other Support template and allow it to provide you an overview for items to consider
- Start small – one award at a time and apply the items of consideration from the Office of Sponsored Research Other Support template.
- When in doubt – Include items of Other Support if you are unsure, NIH guidance on this is to err on the side of full disclosure.
- Ask for guidance – Do you have extenuating circumstance based upon the complexity of your research? Consider “Reasonable Transparency” to reduce the administrative burden of preparing the Other Support document.
- Summary Approach – Do you have large numbers of Grad Students or Collaborators? Summarize then into groups with relevant details for each group and a promise to provide full details upon request
- Reference Approach – Do you have extensive in-kind lab/office space? Reference the Facilities & Other Resources Document submitted with the initial application.
- Associated Approach – Do you have one list of collaborators? Establish an association or link between each award and each collaborator.
Tip: Review Letters of Support submitted with the initial application, they MAY contain In-Kind Other Direct Support such as Office/Laboratory space, supplies, equipment, employees or services.
Details and resources available for Other Support
- New Sample Template for NIH Other Support Office of Sponsored Research site.
- Guidance on Science and Security
- Science and Security slides presentation on 04/09/2020
- Listen to the Webinar Recording (Audio / Video / Transcript) of the slides presented on 04/09/2020
- Awareness of Foreign Components SPO Best Practices