The Application Process
How to Apply
Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS)
We accept applications thru ERAS. You may contact your medical school or the ERAS web site for additional information regarding the process. Use code number 190019 for the five-year, categorical, program; and code number 190018 for the one or two-year, preliminary, program.
- Three letters of recommendation from surgical faculty at your institution or with whom you worked with recently during your training
- Scores from Step 1 of the USMLE
- Personal Statement
- Curriculum Vitae
- Dean’s letter with transcript
If you are accepted for residency in one of our surgical specialties, you are automatically accepted for the year(s) in Preliminary General Surgery. But you must go through ERAS and use the Preliminary General Surgery Code #190018 to match into the General Surgery position.
- We do accept applications from foreign medical graduates.
- We sponsor the J1 Visa only.
- A minimum score of “Pass” is required on Step 1 and Step 2 exams.
- U.S. training is not a requirement.
- We offer six categorical positions and six non-designated preliminary positions.
All materials should be received prior to October 31.
- Nov. 22, 2023 | Dec 11, 2023 | Dec. 15, 2023 | Jan. 11, 2024 | Jan. 16, 2024
Trista Reid, MD
General Surgery Residency Program Director
UNC Dept of Surgery, CB #7213
Chapel Hill NC 27599-7213
General Surgery Residency Program Coordinator
UNC Dept of Surgery, CB #7050
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-7050
Phone: (919) 966-4653
Fax: (919) 966-6009