The Department of Neurology at UNC has been actively caring for patients with Parkinson's disease since the opening of N.C. Memorial Hospital in 1952. In 2004 The UNC School of Medicine and UNC Hospitals became the first medical center in North Carolina to join the ranks of only 43 (NPF) Centers of Excellence worldwide.
National Parkinson Foundation supports Parkinson's-related research, patient care, education, training, and outreach through its Centers of Excellence. As such, the Centers define the "gold standard" in Parkinson's-related research, comprehensive care, and outreach. Learn more about National Parkinson Foundation and about NPF Center of Excellence criteria
Our mission statement:
- Research: to conduct both outstanding clinical and basic science research in Parkinson disease and translate our research to advances in treatment
- Clinical care: to provide the finest quality of care for our patients and to assume a leadership position in providing innovative models of service for patients with Parkinson's disease and their families
- Outreach: to meet, answer questions and provide cutting edge information to our local support groups and to assist the lay community in advocating for their causes
- Education: to educate persons with Parkinson's disease, their caregivers, healthcare professionals, and the general public about Parkinson's disease and its treatment
- Referral services: to be a place to which patients with Parkinson's disease, caregivers and families, health-care providers, and people in the community, turn for the most up-to-date information on research and referral services for Parkinson's disease
Our Center of Excellence offers patients and their families comprehensive, specialized care for Parkinson’s disease. Our multidisciplinary team of experts is trained to address the physical, cognitive, and emotional needs of those coming to our clinic. Our team actively works with patients and their families to develop comprehensive and individualized treatment plans and recommendations.
Our team includes specialists from the following areas:
- Neurology/Movement Disorders
- Physical Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Speech and Language Pathology
- Movement Related Sleep Disorders
- Genetic Counseling
- Social Work and Counseling
Interdisciplinary Parkinson’s Disease Clinic
Our Center is partnering with allied health therapists, specializing in Parkinson’s, to offer half-day comprehensive interdisciplinary team assessments for people diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease.
THIS CLINIC IS MOST APPROPRIATE IF:
- You are functioning well, but you would like some baseline measurements taken and would like to receive information and exercises to help maintain functioning over time.
- Symptoms of your Parkinson’s disease are interfering with your work and leisure activities.
- Your current treatment plan is not working or you have complications from medical therapy.
- You or your family need advice and counseling on coping with Parkinson’s disease.
- Cognitive and behavioral problems (i.e., depression and anxiety) are interfering with your activities of daily living.
Our Center is proud to help organize NPF’s Moving Day, a walk for Parkinson’s! The very first event was in fall 2013 and we had an AMAZING response! Funds go towards local PD programming. Please visit the Moving Day NC Triangle website for more information.
The NPF Center of Excellence has been supported by research and outreach grants from the National Parkinson Foundation.