Neurocritical care is a specialty that provides care for patients with severe neurological injury or illness. UNC offers a multidisciplinary approach to patient care with a team comprised of board-certified and specialty-trained neurocritical care physicians, advanced practice providers, and specialized critical care pharmacists, respiratory therapists and nurses. We work directly with our neurologists and neurosurgeons to provide the highest level of expertise in accordance with the most up-to-date guidelines and therapies for patients suffering from life-threatening neurologic conditions.
Our practice includes:
- Treatment of stroke, intracerebral and subarachnoid hemorrhage, traumatic brain and spine injury, status epilepticus, acute neuromuscular disorders, among many others neurologic and systemic disorders.
- Use of advanced technology including multimodal monitoring of intracranial pressure, cerebral oxygenation, continuous electroencephalography, and advanced hemodynamic monitoring.
- Research in the latest diagnostic and therapeutic targets in stroke, subarachnoid hemorrhage, traumatic brain injury and seizures, including participation in national multi-center clinical trials.
- Multidisciplinary approach to quality improvement, including patient and family advocates.
- Education and training opportunities for fellows, residents and medical students.
UNC Hospitals Neuroscience Intensive Care Unit
The Neuroscience Intensive Care (NSICU) Unit at UNC Medical Center provides the highest level of care for patients with acute neurological illness or injury. The 22-bed unit has state-of-the-art capabilities giving our multi-disciplinary team the best opportunity to improve patient outcomes. The NSICU acts as a tertiary referral center for patients from North Carolina and surrounding states. We proudly carry Joint Commission Advanced Certification as a Comprehensive Stroke Center in addition to holding the Get with the Guidelines Gold Plus Achievement Award and Honor Roll Elite Award in stroke care. Additionally, our ICU was awarded the Silver-level Beacon Award by the American Nurses Association for our ongoing dedication to quality improvement and patient care.
UNC Rex Healthcare Neuroscience Intensive Care Unit
The Neuroscience Intensive Care Unit at UNC Rex Healthcare is a dedicated 10-bed unit where we provide 24/7 specialized critical care for patients with acute stroke, intracranial hemorrhage, seizure disorders and post-operative neurosurgical care. Our neurocritical care team consists of specialty-trained neurointensivists and advanced practice providers (APPs), and we collaborate closely with our neurohospitalists, neurointerventionalists, and neurosurgeons.