Our Graduate Program is dedicated to the training of outstanding scientists in the pharmacological sciences.
An outstanding graduate program is a high priority of our department, and the training faculty participate fully at all levels. Our department ranks consistently in the highest levels of NIH funding for pharmacology departments nationwide and a great diversity of research areas is available to trainees. more
The Department of Pharmacology ranked #4 in the nation in its field in NIH research funding.
Our Global Science Ranking: #3rd Globally according to U.S. News & World Report's Best Global Universities 2015 report.
- Student Highlights
Congratulations to Tigist Tamir, a third-year graduate student in the Major lab and T32 appointee, for receiving a Howard Hughes Medical Institute’s Gilliam Fellowship to research cell-signaling mechanisms that could provide new targets for treating cancer. Tig also had her student profile highlighted in the SOM Vital Signs news this month!
Tig grew up in Ethiopia and moved to northern Virginia midway through high school. The opportunities Tig has found in the United States have included experience at the bench in a number of different labs and a variety of outreach efforts intended to promote diversity in the sciences.
To learn more about how Tig became interested in science, why she decided to come to UNC and what led her to pursue her current research, read more about Tig in Vital Signs...
- Researchers build a better opioid painkiller from scratch Aug 17, 2016
- Henrik Dolman Named Chair of the Department of Pharmacology Aug 04, 2016
- T32 Appointee Tigist Tamir Awarded 2016 HHMI Gilliam Fellowship Aug 04, 2016
- Carolina Summer Fellows 2016 Make Research Presentations Jul 28, 2016
- Tom Kash appointed Distinguished Professor of Alcohol Studies Jul 26, 2016
Carolina Summer Fellow Students Present Research and Receive Certificates of Completion
CSF students with mentors: (Front row L to R) Tim Qi, Maria Miggs, Christina Kresser, Wendy Klein, and Ami Shiddapur. (Back row L to R) Dr. Channing Der, Dr. Lee Graves, Brandon Koo, Daniel Zeitouni, Dr. Rob Nicholas and Dr. Mauro Calabrese.
Our congratulations to all the Carolina Summer Fellows!
- Upcoming Events
- Seminar presented by Dr. Zoe McElliott, UNC Alcohol Center Sep 13, 2016 04:00 PM - 05:00 PM — 1131 Bioinformatics Auditorium
- Seminar presented by Dr. Forest M. White, MIT Sep 20, 2016 04:00 PM - 05:00 PM — 1131 Bioinformatics Auditorium
- Seminar presented by Dr. Alison Xiaoqiao Xie Sep 27, 2016 04:00 PM - 05:00 PM — 1131 Bioinformatics Auditorium
- Seminar presented by Dr. Qing Zhang, UNC-LCCC Oct 04, 2016 04:00 PM - 05:00 PM — 1131 Bioinformatics Auditorium