Neil Alexis, Ph.D.
Professor, Department of Pediatrics
H.B.Sc., University of Toronto, 1984
M.H.Sc., University of Toronto, 1988
Ph.D., University of Toronto, 1997
Postdoc, University of North Carolina, 2000
Joined the Center in 1997
Dr. Alexis oversees all processing of human samples (sputum, blood, BAL, nasal lavage) and the execution of all lab-based measurements/assays on those study samples. Dr. Alexis focuses on inflammatory and innate immune events in the airways using induced sputum as a primary tool for measuring cellular, biochemical and genetic mechanisms of disease.
Heather Wells, Research Specialist
Anna Tillery, Research Technician
Allen Barry, Research Assistant
Avery Campbell, Research Assistant
Camryn Petit, Work Study
Neeva Wernsman-Young, Research Assistant
Dhruv Boinapally, Research Assistant
Andrea Pham, Work Study
Isabela DeJohn, Work Study
Tony Elsea, Research Assistant
1. Wu T, Huang J, Moore PJ, Little MS, Walton WG, Fellner RC, Alexis NE, Peter Di Y, Redinbo MR, Tilley SL, Tarran R. Identification of BPIFA1/SPLUNC1 as an epithelium-derived smooth muscle relaxing factor. Na. Commun. 2017 Feb 6;7:42214.
2. Maestre-Batlle D, Pena OM, Hirota JA, Gunawan E, Rider CF, Sutherland D, Alexis NE, Carlsten C. Novel flow cytometry approach to identify bronchial epithelial cells from healthy human airways.Sc Rp. 2017 Feb 6;7:42214.
4. Bennett WE, Ivins S, Alexis NE, Wu J, Bromberg PA, Brar SS, Travlos G, London SJ. Effect of Obesity on Acute Ozone-Induced Changes in Airway Function, Reactivity and Inflammation in Adult Females. PLoS One 2016 Aug 11;11(8):e0160030.
5. Sesma JI, Weitzer CD, Livraghi-Butrico A, Dang H, Donaldson S, Alexis NE, Jacobson KA, Harden TK, Lazarowski ER. UDP-glucose promotes neutrophil recruitment in the lung.Purinergic Signal 2016 Dec; 12(4):627-635.
6. Kobernick AK, Peden DB, Zhou H, Zhou Q, Dillon MA, Alexis NE. Reproducibility of the inflammatory response to inhaled endotoxin in healthy volunteers. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2016 Oct; 138(4):1205-1207.