Ilona Jaspers, Ph.D.
Dr. Jaspers have gained published expertise in using a number of different experimental models to examine whether and how exposure to environmental oxidants, such as cigarette smoke, diesel exhaust, and ozone alter immune responses in human organotypic epithelial cell culture models in vitro, mosue lung in vivo, and humans in vivo.
- Missy White, Research Specialist
- Parker Duffney, Post Doc
- Meghan Rebuli, Post Doc
- Alexia Perryman, Graduate Research Assistant
- Elise Hickman, Graduate Research Assistant
- Yael-Natalie Escobar, Graduate Research Assistant
- Keith Rogers, Graduate Research Assistant
- Hong-Yo Kim, Senior Research Associate
Professor, Department of Pediatrics
- B.S. Seton Hall University, 1992
- M.S. New York University, 1994
- Ph.D. New York University, 1997
- Postdoctoral University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1999
- Joined the Center in 1997
- Adjunct Associate professor, Environmental Sciences and Engineering
- Senior Investigator of Respiratory Biology,The Hamner Institutes of Health Sciences
- Associate/full Professor, Department of Microbiology & Immunology
- Director, Curriculum in Toxicology and Environmental Medicine
- Rebuli ME, Speen AM, Clapp PW, Jaspers I. Novel applications for a noninvasive sampling method of the nasal mucosa. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 2017 Feb 1; 312(2):L288-L296.
- Speen AM, Kim HH, Bauer RN, Meyer M, Gowdy KM, Fessler MB, Duncan KE, Liu W, Porter NA, Jaspers I. Ozone-derived Oxysterols Affect Liver X Receptor (LXR) Signaling: A POTENTIAL ROLE FOR LIPID-RPOTEIN ADDUCTS. J Biol Chem 2016 Nov 25; 291(48):25192-25206.
- Jaspers I. Response to comments by Emma et al. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 2016 Aug 1;311(2):L526.
- Martin EM, Clapp PW, Rebuli ME, Pawlak EA, Glista-Baker E, Benowitz NL, Fry RC, Jaspers I. E-cigarett use results in suppression of immune and inflammatory-response genes in nasal epithelial cells similar to cigarette smoke. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 2016 Jul 1;311(1):L135-44.
- Pawlak EA, Noah TL, Zhou H, Chehrazi C, Robinette C, Diaz-Sanchez D, Muller L, Jaspers I. Diesel exposure suppresses natural killer cell function and resolution of eosinophil inflammation: a randomized controlled trial of exposure in allergic rhinitics. Part Fibre Toxicol 2016 may 6;13(1):24.
- Meyer M, Jaspers I. Respiratory protease/antiprotease balance determines susceptibilit to viral infection and can be modified by nutritional antioxidants. am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 2015 Jun 15;308(12):L1189-201.