Please check this webpage frequently as it may be updated during the admissions cycle.
Admissions Overview- Please read carefully
Our program uses the Communication Sciences and Disorders Centralized Application Service (CSDCAS) for admissions. CSDCAS is an application service that simplifies the process of applying to communication sciences and disorders/speech-language pathology programs. CSDCAS will verify your application for accuracy, calculate your GPA, and send your application to as many communication science programs you wish to designate who utilize this service.
- All applications receive careful consideration by our admissions committee. After review of applications, offers of admission will be extended no later than March 15.
- Applicants will have until April 15 to inform us of their decision to attend, if admitted.
Important Information- Preparing to Apply
- Plan to apply early. Submitting your materials early helps ensure timely processing and avoids costly delays.
- Create a personal email account (gmail, yahoo, etc.) that includes some part of your name.
- Applying for admission is a two-step process and applications are submitted within two different systems: Carefully read through all of the instructions before you begin each application. The ONLY correct way to access the UNC Supplemental Application is through a link in the email that will be sent to you after the CSDCAS application closes. Please do not begin the UNC Supplemental Application without an invitation email. If you try to do this, “Doctor of Philosophy” will be the only program choice available, which is INCORRECT. Students that have made this error will need to submit a new application once they have received the link. We will not refund or waive any application fees due to the volume of activity in the system.
Deadlines and Important Update
UPDATE: In order to be considered for the 1 or 2 Merit Assistantships that the Graduate School offers each year, you must have a competitive GPA of at least (minimum of) a 3.5 or above, and have a very competitive record that would indicate academic success in our program. If you believe that you qualify, you must have your application in CSDCAS submitted, paid and complete according to our website instructions, by December 1, 2022. This will also require you to complete the Supplemental Application on or before December 13, 2022. Please note that you will receive the link to the supplemental application after either the December 1 or December 13 deadline.
Recommendation Letters do not need to be submitted by this December 1 deadline.
It can take up to four weeks for CSDCAS to verify transcripts so be sure to request official transcripts well in advance. Since you do not need to submit your fall grades, it is recommended that you send your transcripts when you begin your application. You must list your schools in the “Colleges and Universities Attended” section of your CSDCAS application before requesting any transcripts. Do not list courses that you will be taking in the future and are not currently registered for. There is space for you to list these courses.
- Submit official transcripts from EVERY institution that you have taken coursework (even if only one course was taken there).
- Grades MUST appear on your university transcript for all courses that you have taken,
- If Grades do not appear for your Study Abroad or High School Community College experience OR for Transfer credits from another institution, you MUST submit an additional transcript for each of them. If your Study Abroad GRADES appear on your university transcript you will NOT need an additional transcript from the foreign university.
Use the transcript request form to have all official transcripts sent to CSDCAS. You should then print the CSDCAS Official Transcript Request Form (the blue button found under each school listed) and send that to your registrar’s office to include with your transcript when it is mailed to CSDCAS. If your school sends electronic transcripts THERE IS NO NEED for an additional paper copy.
♦Please note that using the CSDCAS transcript entering service (PTE) may slow down the process if they are not received several weeks before the deadline.
Please direct the Office of Registrars to send your transcripts to the following address:
CSDCAS Verification Department
P.O. Box 9113
Watertown, MA, 02471
(All official transcripts MUST be sent to the CSDCAS address above.)
If your school only accepts online transcript requests, please include the word “CSDCAS” and your CSDCAS ID NUMBER in the address you wish to have the transcript sent to. There is NO NEED for an additional paper copy. The electronic version is sufficient.
ATTN: International Students please request Foreign Transcript Service (Ex. WES) as soon as you begin your application if required.
Letters of Recommendation
Choose three people to write your letters of recommendation who can best attest to your academic or clinical potential. It is important to identify at least two academic references who know you well and are able to speak with detailed examples to the personal qualities that make you unique. if you have been out of school for a while, it will be helpful to develop relationships with professors in your prerequisite classes and help them to know as much about you as possible. Recommendation letters may be submitted until the last day of December.
You will be asked to complete 5 essay questions on the CSDCAS application. Answers should be no more than 300 words (2000 characters) each.
Within your application, be sure to complete all applicable parts of the supporting information section.
Once your application is e-submitted, your application is locked and most sections cannot be updated for the remainder of the application cycle. Please make sure all of your information is accurate. The only sections you can update are:
- Contact information
- Profile information (username, password, etc.)
- Edit a reference whose status remains new or in progress
- Change “In-progress” coursework to completed coursework during the academic update period.
Reminder: You will receive an email with a link directing you to the UNC-CH supplemental application following the CSDCAS application deadline. This process can take up to 48 hours or more. If you have not received this email by December 28, 2022 please email email@example.com. Don’t forget to check your spam and junk mail folders first. The ONLY CORRECT way to access the UNC Supplemental Application is through a link in the email that will be sent to you after the CSDCAS application closes. You will have approximately three weeks to fill out this application.
You will only need to provide the following in your supplemental application:
- A List of institutions you have attended
- Answers to residency and honor code questions
- Payment of the supplemental fee of $95.00 (Visa, Mastercard, check or money order) There may be a delay from the time you try to submit and the link to provide payment. If this appears to be happening upon clicking the submit button, please return to your application later in the day and the link should appear. If you get an error message when submitting your payment, it is your responsibility to get the issue resolved and make the payment.
A complete UNC Supplemental Application refers to the submission of your application and payment of $95.00 before 11:59 p.m. Eastern Standard Time on January 10, 2023.
- Please take note that both parts of the application (CSDCAS AND the UNC Supplemental Application) MUST BE Submitted and PAID in order to officially be considered for admission ($131.00 for first school plus $52.00 for each additional school for CSDCAS and $95.00 for the UNC Supplemental Application.).
- Trouble with your CSDCAS application
- CSDCAS Customer Service – Available Monday – Friday from 9:00 a.m until 5:00 p.m. EST
- Telephone: (617) 612-2030
- Email: CSDCASinfo@CSDCAS.org
- Questions about the Speech-Language Pathology program or its supplemental application:
- Kayla Rankin, Student Services Specialist