Skip to main content

What is the retention rate for students in the program?

Over the past three years,  100% of students admitted to the AuD program have completed their program.

Do students typically stay in North Carolina for their 4th year externship?

Some students choose to apply for excellent externships in North Carolina, but many take advantage of the diverse options available and compete successfully for highly competitive externships across the country.

What is the success rate for graduates seeking employment?

Over the past three years, 100% of AuD graduates have been employed by or within a few months after graduation. Our graduates are highly sought after and respected in the field. Our alumni network extends to every region of the US.

What is the pass rate on the Praxis exam?

Over the past three years, 100% of AuD students taking the Praxis exam have successfully passed.

What if I don’t have a background in communication sciences and disorders?

Any major can be excellent preparation as long as prerequisites are met. Students with majors in, for example, Biology, Linguistics, Neuroscience, Physics, English, Journalism, Music, and Computer Science, in addition to those with majors in Communication Sciences, have been successful in our program. We value diverse backgrounds and interests. In fact, several of our faculty had careers in other fields before returning to school to become audiologists.

Why are prerequisites required?

Prerequisites provide a foundation for program coursework in for example neuroanatomy, vestibular, pharmacology, cochlear implants and genetics. A key prerequisite is demonstrating an understanding of the profession of audiology, ideally through both a course in audiology and varied clinical observation experiences.  You are not required to have all prerequisites completed before you apply but you must have them completed before entering the program.  If you choose not to include the GRE as part of your application, it is especially important to have completed your science prerequisites by the time we review your application.

Do I need to take my prerequisite coursework at UNC-Chapel Hill?

Completion of prerequisite coursework at any accredited university is acceptable. Online courses are available through, for example, Utah State University, University of Massachusetts.

What is the required minimum GPA in order to be accepted?

The minimum GPA is 3.0, although those admitted into the program typically have higher GPAs. The average GPA ranges from 3.5 to 4.0.

What courses will I take?

The curriculum is reviewed and updated regularly but a sample curriculum can be viewed here.

If I do not submit GRE scores, how will my application be evaluated?  I didn’t do as well on the GRE as I’d like, but I have a good GPA–will the admissions committee still review my application?

The admissions committee considers every completed application in its entirety.  While academic performance is particularly important, grading practices vary widely across majors and among universities and colleges.  Your achievement in challenging courses outside of your major, your recommendations, your activities and your short essays provide us with essential insight into your abilities and potential. Be sure that your application represents you as a whole person, not just a student.  The GRE is another piece of information that may be useful, but it is considered within the context of the rest of your application.  If you do not submit GRE scores, you will not be at a disadvantage.  However, consider how your application demonstrates your strengths in quantitative thinking.  Some ways to demonstrate your abilities include, for example, doing well in science/math coursework, especially in courses that are advanced, and/or participating in independent research.

Do recommendations really make a difference?

Recommendations can have a significant impact, especially if they are outstanding or raise questions — choose your recommenders carefully.  We want to hear from recommenders who know you well and can write specifically about your performance and abilities.  You must submit three letters of recommendation: two must be from professors who know your academic work well. If you are at a university with large classes or have been out of school for a while and are taking post-grad classes, it will be helpful to get to know your professors. Take advantage of office hours, ask questions, volunteer.   If you are in a major where your recommenders are unlikely to know much about audiology, we recommend speaking with them about the field and why you are interested in it.  Ask academic references to include your standing in the class or your major.

What are the requirements for the GRE?

Although the GRE continues to be highly recommended, applicants may choose not to submit GRE scores, or if submitted, to request that we not include them as part of the application (scores will not be viewable by faculty reviewers).   We follow your preference.  If you do choose to submit your scores they will be considered as part of your entire application.  They can be especially helpful for those who are post grad or who have attended more than one university or whose major has a tougher than typical grading practices.  The UNC-CH Graduate School has recommended that admitted students present a minimum score at or above the 50th percentile for both the verbal and quantitative sections of the GRE. If there are multiple scores, we consider only the highest score in each section.

Please note that GRE prep courses generally promise raising your total score by only ~5 points.  Students who struggle with tests like the GRE often report test anxiety, but they also tend to be slow readers and have poor math fundamentals.  Improving your reading skills by reading every day and your math skills by taking additional math coursework will likely be beneficial not just for graduate school admission but for graduate school success.

What are the institution codes for the GRE?

If you have not taken the exam yet choose the “dual” code that will signal the testing center to send your scores to both CSDCAS and UNC. That code is 0083. Please make sure that your scores go to both applications. If you have already taken the exam using a different code, please have ETS resend your scores to 0083. GRE test scores are valid for five years.

Is the GRE Analytical section considered by the admissions committee?

Only the verbal and quantitative sections of the GRE test are considered.

Is it acceptable to have four letters of recommendation?

Yes, but there should be a rationale why you feel that the extra letter is needed. Letters from prominent family friends are generally not relevant.

Where do I find the form needed for my letters of recommendation?

Submission of letters of recommendation to CSDCAS is electronic and they upload directly to your application.  We recommend that you request that academic recommendation writers include information about your standing in classes and/or your major.

What information do I need in order to submit my transcripts?

Everything you need to know about transcripts

Do I need to fill out any additional forms if I want to apply for departmental awards and scholarships?

We consider all graduate students to have need. Students must have a completed FAFSA on file in order to be considered for scholarships and need-based financial aid from the Division of Speech and Hearing Sciences. Please fill the form out and submit it as soon as the application becomes available (code 002974). Parental financial information is not taken into account for graduate students. Other schools may ask for parental data for graduate funding but UNC-CH will not review it. If awarded a scholarship or grant, admitted students will receive notification from the Division of Speech and Hearing. During the review process, supplemental information may be required.

When are admissions letters released?

Letters go out via email within a week before or after March 15, and applicants have until April 15 to notify us of their decision.

Can I make an appointment with a faculty member?

Due to the large volume of requests, we are unable to conduct individual tours or interviews. We do however, offer information sessions for prospective students. Attendance at information sessions does not enhance a student’s application nor penalize students who are unable to attend. Our website also has informational videos and links to campus tours.

Can I schedule a personal tour?

UNC’s Audiology program will be hosting Open House events. Please check our Events page for additional information. Due to teaching, clinic and research responsibilities, faculty are not available to meet with applicants outside of scheduled events.

If you happen to visit campus on your own, the Visitor’s Center has information and tours.

I currently live in an urban environment so I’m concerned that Chapel Hill will seem too small.

Chapel Hill is a town of  ~62, 000, but it has a diverse population and multiple cultural communities, in addition to UNC’s undergraduate and graduate/professional student populations.  Chapel Hill is well known for its arts, music, foodie and outdoor opportunities.  It also is right next door to Durham, home of UNC’s basketball rival, Duke, and 20 miles from Raleigh, one of the fastest growing tech centers in the country, so students have many choices. Both the beaches and the mountains are only a few hours away and destinations like Washington DC and Charleston SC are a reasonable drive for a weekend.

I am an international student. What do I need to know?

All international applicants must submit acceptable, official TOEFL scores (reported directly to CSDCAS using code C122) or IELTS scores (reported directly from, either by mail or electronically to UNC—contact Kayla Rankin for instructions). We accept no other English Language tests.

Standardized test scores must be official and are reportable for a period of two years from the date of the exam. Exam results more than two years old cannot be considered. Standardized test scores that are submitted to this institution are kept on file for only one year.

International applicants who may qualify for an exception to the English Standardized exams include:

Those from countries where English is the SOLE OFFICIAL language of instruction (Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Canada-except Québec, England, Ghana, Ireland, India, Jamaica, Kenya, New Zealand, Nigeria, Scotland, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad, Tobago, Uganda, and Wales)

The required minimum total score on the exams:

  • internet-based TOEFL exam score = 90
  • IELTS exam score = 7
  • Duolingo score= 125


The internet-based TOEFL exam = 90 with a minimum speaking score of 24

Does the Division of Speech and Hearing have an audiology clinic?

Yes, students begin their clinical training at our nationally known off-campus faculty practice clinic, the UNC Hearing and Communication Center (HCC). At the HCC, students will receive hands-on training in diagnostic and rehabilitative services for hearing, including tinnitus, and balance. The HCC is run as a community-based non-profit clinic, providing care for adults and older children.

Where else do students go for their clinical experiences?

In addition to the HCC, all students have placements at UNC Hospitals which provides a rich clinical environment with ENT clinics in several locations, pediatric audiology clinics, and cochlear implant clinics for both adults and children. Many of our students have clinical experiences at the Durham Veterans’ Administration Medical Center, Duke Balance Clinics, various local hospitals and a variety of ENT and audiology private practices.  In addition, there are opportunities at interdisciplinary experiences at specialty clinics like the Carolina Institute for Developmental Disabilities and the Children’s Cochlear Implant Center.  Students also participate in hearing screening, education and outreach in preschool through high school settings, at health fairs and in retirement communities, and through interprofessional activities. For those with interests in educational audiology, clinical placements with the Wake County (Raleigh) and Durham Public School Educational Audiology Programs are available.

Do all students have the same access to clinical sites and populations or do students have to compete with one another for better sites?

All students, regardless of their preferred focus (e.g. pediatrics, older adults, lifespan) have both adult and pediatric experiences.  We are located in an area with many opportunities for clinical placements so there is no need for a lottery or other preference system that limits access to clinical placements.

Do all students have opportunities for more specialty clinical experiences, such as cochlear implants and balance assessment, or only students who hope to work exclusively in these areas?

Yes, all students in years one through three of the program have at least one semester-long cochlear implant placement and one semester-long balance assessment placement. It is not required that students have more than one cochlear implant placement, but some students request and may be assigned to both a pediatric CI experience and an adult CI experience.

Is UNC-CH primarily a pediatric focused program?

While UNC-CH offers a significant number of high quality pediatric clinic and training opportunities, our program offers comprehensive training across the lifespan. Several faculty have specific interests in the challenges of hearing and balance in older adults.  The HCC offers unique opportunities to work with older adult patients outside of the clinic in a variety of retirement communities and assistive living environments. UNC-CH graduates are prepared to practice in all types of audiology settings.

Is a research project required to graduate?

Although LEND trainees are required to engage in research and to submit their research projects as a poster at the NC-LEND Symposium, it is not a Program requirement that students produce or participate in original research. All students are required to take a research methods course which includes developing a question, literature review, grading evidence and critically evaluating sources culminating in a poster presentation.

UNC-CH does not have a joint AuD/PhD program, but some students continue on for a PhD after completing the AuD.

Can I participate in research projects at UNC-CH while I am a student at Chapel Hill?

Students with research interests have participated in a variety of projects with faculty mentors. Some labs offer paid research assistant positions and other opportunities can earn additional course credit. Current areas include evoked potentials, speech perception, vestibular and balance, bimodal cochlear implant performance and hybrid cochlear implant devices.  Students frequently present posters at state and national meetings and have received awards for their work. Interested students should discuss the possibilities directly with research faculty. Students have also competed successfully for T-35 grants, which provide a research intensive summer experience.

Are any recent UNC-CH graduates currently in positions that involve research?

Yes. Although most new graduates are primarily interested in clinical practice, interested UNC graduates have been hired directly into exclusively research positions or have gone into research positions after a time in clinical practice.

How much is tuition?

Tuition determinations are made by the Board of Governors and posted on the UNC Cashier’s website; select the most recent Academic Year pdf which provides detailed information for UNC fall and spring semesters.

Figures for resident and non-resident tuition may be found in the Health Affairs pages under the School of Medicine in the section that specifies Doctor of Audiology. Students are always enrolled in nine or more credit hours in fall and spring semesters in years one, two, and three.

Are there summer course or clinic requirements?

Yes. At this time, we divide the summer into two blocks.  Students are in clinic full time in one 7-week block and are off in the other 7-week block.  Students do not have formal coursework during the summer, but may be involved in research or other projects.

How many credit hours are students enrolled in the summer?
Students have historically enrolled for one credit hour in all summers. Tuition figures for summer may be found at, in the Health Affairs section, Graduates subheading that mentions Allied Health Sciences.

Do students register for a full-time credit hour load in the fourth year?

No. In the fall and spring semesters of the Externship year, students enroll in five credit hours in the fall, and five credit hours in the spring semester

Are 4th Year Externships paid?

Although most students do receive a stipend during their fourth year, these vary significantly and are determined by the clinical site offering the experience. In some instances, students have chosen to forgo a stipend in order to have a clinical experience at their preferred site. Most sites have offered some support in the past.

What financial support is available for students? 

Several kinds of financial support are available for both lifespan interest and pediatric interest incoming audiology students. Funding opportunities are reviewed in detail during interviews.

Applicants with interests in Pediatric Audiology:

UNC has historically been one of the LEND (Leadership Education in Neurodevelopmental and related Disabilities) sites in the U.S. awarded a Pediatric Audiology Supplement to the core LEND grant. These awards, funded by the U.S. Bureau of Maternal and Child Health, are designed to provide specialized training for students with a special interest in pediatric audiology and in children who are deaf or hard of hearing with one or more developmental disabilities in addition to hearing loss. Both grants provide stipends and have clinical and academic requirements in addition to the general AuD curriculum. For additional information, contact Dr. Hannah Siburt.

Can students work while in the program?

The AuD program at UNC-CH is a full-time program, with full time academic and clinical responsibilities. Because students in fall and spring semesters are enrolled in full-time coursework and also have clinical assignments, most days of the week are scheduled and some classes meet in the evening. Students who have been able to work part-time while in the program have reported that ten hours a week is a manageable maximum commitment for some, but not necessarily all, students.

Are out of state students ever classified as in-state after moving to North Carolina?

Yes. The Board of Governors of The University of North Carolina has provided guidelines about residency determinations that are based upon evidence suggesting the individual is self-supporting (either through savings, or loans) and has established a “domicile” in the state of North Carolina. Individuals must be resident in the state for one calendar year before they can apply to be re-classified as an in-state student for purposes of tuition determination. Our experience has been that many students in their second year of the program are considered “in-state” but it is important that applicants read the guidelines carefully about how these decisions are made. The Division of Speech and Hearing Sciences is not a partner to these determinations. Applicants and students who are claiming North Carolina residency for tuition purposes, are required to submit a residency application with the North Carolina Residency Determination Services (RDS) at More information about this may be found at