Parkinson’s Foundation Center of Excellence
The Department of Neurology at UNC has been actively caring for patients with Parkinson’s disease since the opening of the North Carolina Memorial Hospital in 1952. In 2004, the UNC School of Medicine and UNC Hospitals became the first medical center in North Carolina to join the ranks of only 43(PF) Centers of Excellence worldwide.
The Parkinson’s Foundation supports Parkinson’s-related research, patient care, education, training, and outreach through its Centers of Excellence. As such, the Centers define the “gold standard” in Parkinson’s-related research, comprehensive care, and outreach. Learn more about the Parkinson’s Foundation and the criteria.
Our mission statement:
- Research: To conduct both outstanding clinical and basic science research in Parkinson disease and translate our research to advances in treatment.
- Clinical care: To provide the finest quality of care for our patients and to assume a leadership position in providing innovative models of service for patients with Parkinson’s disease and their families.
- Outreach: To meet, answer questions and provide cutting edge information to our local support groups and to assist the lay community in advocating for their causes.
- Education: To educate persons with Parkinson’s disease, their caregivers, healthcare professionals, and the general public about Parkinson’s disease and its treatment.
- Referral services: To be a place to which patients with Parkinson’s disease, caregivers and families, health-care providers, and people in the community, turn for the most up-to-date information on research and referral services for Parkinson’s disease.
The Parkinson’s Foundation Center of Excellence at UNC offers patients and their families comprehensive, specialized care for Parkinson’s disease. Our multidisciplinary team of experts is trained to address the physical, cognitive, and emotional needs of those coming to our clinic. We actively work with patients and their families to develop comprehensive and individualized treatment plans and recommendations.
from the following areas:
Interdisciplinary Parkinson’s Disease Clinic
Our center is partnering with allied health therapists who specialize in Parkinson’s to offer half-day comprehensive interdisciplinary team assessments for people diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease.
This clinic is most appropriate if:
- You are functioning well, but you would like some baseline measurements taken and would like to receive information and exercises to help maintain functioning over time;
- Symptoms of your Parkinson’s disease are interfering with your work and leisure activities;
- Your current treatment plan is not working or you have complications from medical therapy;
- You or your family need advice and counseling on coping with Parkinson’s disease.
- Cognitive and behavioral problems (i.e., depression and anxiety) are interfering with your activities of daily living.
Our Center is proud to have organized the first Parkinson Foundation’s Moving Day, a walk for Parkinson’s in North Carolina. Since the inaugural event in 2013, the Foundation has received an amazing response from the community. Funds go towards local PD programming. Please visit the Moving Day NC Triangle website for more information.
The Parkinson’s Foundation Center of Excellence has been supported by research and outreach grants from the Parkinson’s Foundation.