Research in the Department of Radiology is grouped into radiological sciences and clinical research.
In RADIOLOGICAL SCIENCES, UNC Radiology faculty members lead a range of specific research areas:
- Imaging Informatics (headed by Pew-Thian Yap, PhD)
- MRI research (headed by Weili Lin, PhD)
- Novel Radiochemistry (headed by Zibo Li, PhD)
- Breast Imaging (headed by Cherie Kuzmiak, DO)
- Radiology Epidemiology Research Team (headed by Louise Henderson, PhD)
- Translational Imaging Research (headed by Yueh Z. Lee, MD, PhD)
Each of these groups has a variety of research programs that they are conducting, which are described in further detail at their individual program sites.
CLINICAL RESEARCH in the Department is conducted by all the clinical divisions. Research is ongoing into:
- Cardiothoracic Diseases
- Pediatric Diseases (headed by Lynn Fordham, MD)
- Musculoskeletal Diseases (headed by Daniel Nissman, MD)
- Cardiac Imaging and Cardiac Nuclear Medicine (headed by Brian Hyslop, MD, PhD)
- PET/CT Imaging (headed by Amir Khandani, MD)
- Neurological Diseases (headed by Mauricio Castillo, MD, Keith Smith, MD, PhD, Valerie Jewells, MD, Ben Huang, MD, Yueh Z. Lee, MD, PhD, Carlos Zamora, MD)
- Abdominal and Pelvic Genito-urinary CT and MRI (headed by Lauren Burke, MD)
- Ultrasound (Ellie Lee, MD)
- Abdominal and Pelvic MRI (headed by Lauren Burke, MD, Ellie Lee, MD)
- Vascular Interventional Research/Minimally Invasive Interventional Procedures (MIIPs) (Charles Burke, MD)
The Department’s Interim Director of Clinical Research is J Keith Smith, MD, PhD. Our Clinical Research Core Service Center’s Associate Medical Director is Katrina McGinty, MD. Vice Chair for Radiological Sciences is Weili Lin, PhD. Interested parties can contact the above described researchers via their assigned departmental assistants.
**For updates, on Clinical Research Opportunities, click HERE.**