Research in the Department of Radiology is grouped into basic sciences and clinical.
In the BASIC SCIENCES, there are four main research groups that are involved in specific research areas:
- Image Analysis and Informatics (headed by Dinggang Shen, PhD)
- MRI research (headed by Weili Lin, PhD)
- Novel Radiochemistry (headed by Zibo Li, PhD)
- Breast Imaging (headed by Cherie Kuzmiak, DO)
- Radiology Epidemiology Research Team (headed by Louise Henderson, PhD)
- Translational Imaging Research (headed by Yueh Lee, MD, PhD)
Each of these groups has a variety of research programs that they are conducting, which are described in further detail at their individual program sites.
CLINICAL RESEARCH in the Department is conducted by all the clinical divisions. Research is ongoing into:
- Cardiothoracic Diseases (headed by Leon Bacchus, MD)
- Pediatric Diseases (headed by Lynn Fordham, MD)
- Musculoskeletal Diseases (headed by Daniel Nissman, MD)
- Cardiac Imaging and Cardiac Nuclear Medicine (headed by Brian Hyslop, MD, PhD)
- PET/CT Imaging (headed by Amir Khandani, MD)
- Neurological Diseases (headed by Mauricio Castillo, M.D., Keith Smith, M.D., Ph.D., Valerie Jewells, M.D., Ben Huang, M.D., Yueh Z. Lee, M.D., Ph.D., Carlos Zamora, M.D.)
- Abdominal and Pelvic Genito-urinary CT and MRI (headed by Lauren Burke, MD)
- Ultrasound (Ellie Lee, MD)
- Abdominal and Pelvic MRI (headed by Lauren Burke, MD, Ellie Lee, MD)
- Vascular Interventional Research/Minimally Invasive Interventional Procedures (MIIPs) (Charles Burke, MD, Ari Isaacson, MD)
The Department’s Director of Clinical Research is Ari Isaacson, MD. Our Clinical Research Core Service Center’s Associate Medical Director is Katrina McGinty, MD. Vice Chair for Basic Research is Weili Lin, PhD. Interested parties can contact the above described researchers via their assigned departmental assistants.
**For Research Opportunities, click HERE.**