Writing a Proposal
Regardless of your career stage, writing a scientific proposal can be difficult. The Children’s Research Institute is available to provide guidance to all researchers writing proposals related to pediatric health. Below are a few resources we also recommend.
National Institute of Health
- NIH Guide to Writing Your Application: This guide from the NIH teaches how to write a strong application, provides insight into the criteria used by reviewers, and reviews various section of an NIH application. It also includes information on developing a budget, formatting attachments, and preparing a biosketch.
- Funding Information Portal: The Funding Information Portal is a shared resource maintained by the Graduate Funding Information Center and the Office of Research Development. Resources are arranged by category, including funding opportunities, applying for opportunities and implementing research.
- Health Sciences Library Research Hub: Librarians at UNC’s Health Sciences Library can provide data management support, guidance, and referrals. They can also provide in-person consultations about your research, instruction or training for teams and classes, and consultation in research-related workshops or events.
- NCTraCS Proposal Development: NCTraCS staff are available to assist investigators in each phase of the grant writing process, including identifying funding sources, providing editorial support, proposal review and grant application training.
- Office of Research Development: UNC’s Office of Research Development links out to multiple resources focused on research and proposal development, including general grant writing tips and resources for assembling federal grants.
- The Anatomy of a Specifics Aims Page: The Specific Aims section is the most important part of any NIH grant application. This article provides tips on structure, content and organization of a Specific Aims page to help you grab the attention of your reviewer.
Investigators needing input on specific grants or projects are invited to contact us via email.