Carolina Summer Institute 2021
April 26 - June 24
Carolina Summer Institute
An online educational opportunity presented by:
The Children’s Cochlear Implant Center at UNC
April 26, 2021 – eight week virtual classroom opens
June 21-24, 2021- virtual LSL session practice with a coach
The 2021 Carolina Summer Institute consists of online coursework and virtual practice of Listening and Spoken Language therapy with LSLS certified coaches. This two-part training is for audiologists, speech-language pathologists, and teachers of the deaf who wish to develop skills in Listening and Spoken Language Therapy for children who are deaf or hard of hearing.
- Eight week, online course designed to provide the basic knowledge, tools and resources in LSL therapy.
- Participants will explore LSL topics through readings, videos and application assignments.
- Live online meetings (every Wednesday, 3pm Eastern during the 8 week course) with instructors to review the learning from that specific week.
- Topics Addressed:
- What is a Listening and Spoken Language Specialist?
- Audiology 101
- Auditory Brain Development, Function and Strategies
- Auditory Memory & Auditory Learning (this is covered in 2 parts over 2 weeks)
- Language Development & Strategies
- Speech Development
- Parent Participation Sessions & Strengths Based Coaching
- Online practicum:
- 4 LSL parent participation sessions with LSLS coach (June 21-24)
- 2 participants paired with a LSLS coach
- Planning sessions, role-playing and therapy with coach each day
- Daily strengths-based coaching conversations with coach
Cost: All participants are to pay a $100 deposit at time of acceptance
- State of NC employees – $100
- NC resident but not an employee of the state of NC – $750
- Out of state residents – $1500
ASHA CE Provider approval does not imply endorsement of course content,
specific products or clinical procedure.
Hannah Eskridge, MSP, LSLS Cert AVT
Sandra Hancock, MS, LSLS Cert AVT
Lillian Henderson, MSP, LSLS Cert AVT
Christine Kramer, MS, LSLS Cert AV Ed
Erin Thompson, MS, LSLS Cert AVT
*All coaches and presenters are employees of The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (UNC-CH) and will not receive additional compensation. There are no nonfinancial relationships to disclose.
For further information please contact Lillian Henderson: Lillian.firstname.lastname@example.org