UNC International Travel Pre-Approval Process
Pre-approval for international travel is still required from the Dean’s office and the Provost’s Office.
For international travel, please send your exemption request to Jennifer Wu, Interim Vice Dean of Academic Affairs (Jennifer_wu@med.unc.edu).
All SOM faculty must follow UNC Chapel Hill travel guidance. Exceptions for international university-affiliated travel by faculty and post-docs must be sent to Jennifer Wu with a favorable recommendation from the faculty member’s immediate supervisor and department chair or center director (if different). After she receives the information listed below, as well as acknowledgement of approval from the faculty member’s supervisor and chair/center director, she will evaluate the application.
If approved, requests for exceptions should then be sent via email by the petitioner directly to Provost Blouin (firstname.lastname@example.org) and should copy Debbi Clarke, Associate Provost for Strategy and Special Projects (email@example.com); and Emma Dehne, Executive Assistant to the Provost (firstname.lastname@example.org).
In their request for a travel exemption, petitioners should include:
- The specific dates, routes/itineraries, and destinations of proposed travel;
- The purpose of the proposed research and an explanation as to why the work can’t be fulfilled remotely via video conferencing or through other electronic means;
- Whether the proposed travel is related to COVID-19 or other pressing public health matters;
- A summary of how the trip will explicitly advance the mission of the university;
- A description of travel risks and how the traveler proposes to mitigate those risks during the trip and upon return to campus;
- A completed and signed assumption of risk and acknowledgement form and release of liability document; and
- Acknowledgement that myself and other supervisors listed above have approved the travel exemption request. Please be sure to gain these supervisory approvals before submitting your request.