In 2013, Dr. Carmen Ward’s rich life and pursuits were interrupted by a diagnosis of a rare type of invasive breast cancer — mucinous carcinoma. A biopsy of Dr. Ward’s concerning breast mass by Professor of Radiology Sheri Jordan, MD, RCC, at UNC’s Multidisciplinary Breast Clinic led not only to a Stage 1 cancer diagnosis. It also produced her most endearing patient-provider experience over her journey through cancer, from diagnosis to recovery.

“For my cancer case, a lot of doctors were involved, and I saw most only once. Once Dr. Jordan biopsied my breast mass, UNC Surgical Oncology phoned to confirm my diagnosis from pathology results. After my lumpectomy, Dr. Jordan went the extra mile and called me at home to see how I was doing. She didn’t have to do that – but she cared enough to do so.

Our exchanges each time I’ve seen her since in the Breast Imaging clinic have been engaging interactions. They’ve had a tremendous impact on my overall patient experience at North Carolina Cancer Hospital.”

Grateful for a positive outcome from a later-life scare, a fully recovered Dr. Ward does not take her life of well-developed personal interests, worldwide travel, a college administration career and an advanced education for granted. Making the most of each day immersed in wide-ranging activities, Dr. Ward seeks ways beyond herself to benefit others through her talents and experiences.

Mid-2021, Dr. Ward’s patient-provider relationship with Dr. Jordan allowed her to give back to the academic medical center that treated and set her on a road to recovery. As UNC Radiology’s Undergraduate Medical Education Director, Dr. Jordan arranged a virtual Q&A session for Dr. Ward to share her patient experience with five UNC School of Medicine student (M2) scholars comprising the inaugural class of the Mauricio Castillo, MD Diversity and Inclusion Scholars program.

Designed to address racial and gender disparities across medical specialties, the Castillo Scholars program immersed the 2021 summer scholars over eight weeks in educational, research, and mentorship opportunities at UNC in one of four specialties – Anesthesiology, Radiology, Urology and Vascular Surgery – respective to their pursuits in medicine. Alongside Matthew A. Mauro, MD Distinguished Professor in Radiology Dr. Mauricio Castillo and Ernest H. Wood Distinguished Professor and Department of Radiology Chair Dr. Maureen Kohi, Dr. Jordan leads the program.

Dr. Jordan introduced her former patient to the five aspiring physicians through emphasizing how critical patient-centered care is to achieving positive, long-term diagnostic outcomes.  As a member of Dr. Ward’s multi-disciplinary team, Dr. Jordan used patient-centered care to deliver quality care and ensure her patient could make informed decisions as she progressed through treatment and recovery working with a range of providers.

Over an hour-long session, Dr. Ward imparted pearls of wisdom to her student audience stemming from her exceptional experience as Dr. Jordan’s patient. From her years spanning diagnosis, a lumpectomy and a five-year therapeutic regimen post-procedure, Dr. Ward shared the disappointment a patient feels when a provider directs his/her attention to typing notes on a medical chart instead of establishing meaningful verbal connection and eye contact. Eventually, she learned to make a list of questions prior to clinic visits to engage doctors directly and send a clear message – she was a person deserving respect as an individual, not just a patient with a medical record on a computer screen.

Finishing her session with the student scholars, Dr. Ward framed her lifetime of personal growth and accomplishment as akin to the lives of medical students who aspire to a career in medicine. The trained pianist, published poet and active participant in a lifelong learning program for seniors concluded:

“Cancer can happen to anyone at any time. My scare late in life taught me to make the most of my gifts every day. I’ve had so much personal reward over my lifetime that I try to identify where I can apply my own gifts to benefit others to the greatest extent. I encourage each of you to explore where your skills and talents lie, to pursue with passion the path you discern, and to strive always to be of service in the world.”

To read a 2015 UNC Health Care article on Dr. Carmen Ward’s experience at UNC’s Breast Imaging clinic as a patient treated by Professor of Radiology Dr. Sheri Jordan, click here.