In a weekend filled with camaraderie and connection, we hosted a visit to the NC Botanical Gardens on Saturday, November 18, 2023. Graduate students and faculty came together to explore the beauty of nature and immerse themselves in the enchanting world of Sculpture in the Gardens.
The event, organized by the department’s Social Committee, showcased the commitment to fostering a sense of belonging among its members. Attendees engaged in various activities, from exploring the picturesque surroundings to connecting with colleagues in a relaxed setting.
The Biochemistry and Biophysics Department understands the profound impact of community on academic and personal lives. The Social Committee, responsible for planning monthly events, ensures that each gathering is infused with joy and connection. Whether it’s a hike, bowling, baseball game, happy hour, monthly bagel breakfasts, visit to a pumpkin patch, or an outing to the NC Botanical Gardens, these events contribute to the vibrant tapestry of the departmental community.
Every social and equity-focused gathering is seen as an opportunity to strengthen bonds and create an inclusive environment. The department believes that nurturing strong connections empowers individuals to thrive both personally and professionally. The Botanical Gardens event was a testament to this philosophy, bringing students, postdocs, faculty, and staff together in an enriching journey towards community building.
This past summer, the DEI and Social Committee hosted an event to commemorate Pride Month
. The event was well attended by not only members of our department but also mutual friends and colleagues. We had a lot of fun picking up LGBT+ flags and stickers and enjoyed ice cream during this nice summer afternoon. The celebration was not only an occasion for participants to show support by brainstorming ideas to build a better community but also proof of the wonderful BCBP team.
The department’s Equity and Inclusion Committee, specifically the DEI Cultural and Intra/Intergroup Relations subcommittee along with the Social Committee, hosted the Native American Month celebration and potluck and trivia on November 28. In the past year, this group has also held monthly events to bring people together to support our diverse department.
These initiatives reflect the ongoing commitment of the UNC School of Medicine’s Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics to providing opportunities for its diverse community to come together.
As we continue to promote community building, belonging, and academic unity, the department invites everyone to stay tuned for more exciting ways in which we strive to strengthen the bonds that make our community thrive.
Summary of 2023 events
• BCBP strategic planning listening sessions
• Grad Student Winter Social, hot chocolate and coffee & free BCBP blankets
• Lunar New Year celebration and potluck
• MCBP New Year Kickoff Social
• Start of rotation lunch for new graduate students
• Black History Month Celebration
• BCBP Departmental town hall meeting (reviewed results of listening sessions)
• 6th Annual Chromatin and Epigenetics Symposium
• Faculty poster session
• (MCBP students) BBSP admissions GMB lawn social
• BCBP Town Hall
• BCBP Graduate Student Appreciation Week & Lunch
• BCBP postdoc committee meeting
• Earth Day 2023 plant swap
• Celebration of Undergraduate Research (posters)
• Strategic Planning Session Retreat (2 days)
• BCBP New Student Talks
• 4v4 Beach Volleyball Tournament
• Henna Art DEI event
• BCBP small group lunch interest meeting
• BCBP Ice Cream Social
• SOM Staff Strategic Plan Town Hall
• UNC BCBP Field Day
• BCBP Students’ Seminar Awards Ceremony
• BCBP Pride Celebration
• Postdoc Townhall
• Peer Mentoring Network
• Small group lunches
• celebration of India’s 77th Independence Day
• Ice Cream Social
• 2023 MCBP Bowling Social
• Puzzles and games to relax
• BCBP Town Hall
• BCBP Postdoc Appreciation Week & Lunch
• BCBP Happy Hour
• Small group lunches
• Hispanic Heritage Month Potluck
• 2023 BCBP Research Retreat
• Fall Social & Pumpkin Painting
• 2023 Carolina Biophysics Symposium
• Fall Hike NC Botanical Gardens
• Student Seminar Talks, Nov 1 & 15th
• Native American Month celebration and potluck
• Year-End Holiday Party
Our Equity and Inclusion Committee also has distributed educational fliers and emails about various cultural holidays and celebrations throughout the years since its inception. Thank you to our graduate student social chairs and other committee members for your service across many areas of our department.