Pediatric Otolaryngology Fellowship
The Department of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery is currently seeking candidates for the one-year clinical fellowship position in Pediatric Otolaryngology. The University is home to the North Carolina Children’s Hospital – ranked ninth by U.S. News & World Report for the care of children with respiratory disorders. Multi-disciplinary centers at UNC include the N.C. Children’s Airway Center, the UNC Craniofacial Center and the UNC Pediatric Cochlear Implant Team. Fellows also benefit from a significant experience in cleft lip and palate care through the Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. Call responsibilities are flexible and for pediatric ENT patients only.
Carlton J. Zdanski, MD
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Department of Otolaryngology / Head and Neck Surgery
Chapel Hill, NC 27599
Fellowship Program Coordinator: Ellen Doutt
- Carlton J. Zdanski, MD, FACS, Chief of the Division of Pediatric Otolaryngology, Fellowship Director
- Austin S. Rose, MD, Professor
- Amelia F. Drake, MD, FACS, Professor
- Lauren A. Kilpatrick, MD, Assistant Professor
- Wade G. McClain, DO, Assistant Professor
Requirements for Appointment
- Board eligible/Board certified Otolaryngologist
- Valid North Carolina state medical license
- Ability to begin July 1
- Position of Clinical Fellow
- Salary commensurate with PGY-6 level
- Standard medical, disability, and malpractice
- 3 weeks of vacation
- Availability and support to present research at national meetings
- Educational fund
- A letter of interest, curriculum vitae, and two letters of recommendation should be sent to:
Carlton Zdanski, MD
Attn: Ellen Doutt
Department of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery
170 Manning Drive, CB# 7070
Physicians Office Building
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-7070
- Candidates must also register with the San Francisco Matching Program: www.sfmatch.org
- The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is an equal opportunity/ADA employer
- Application Deadline: January 15
- Starting Date: July 1 – June 30
- Duration of Fellowship: 1 year
- University Affiliation: University of North Carolina
- Licensing Requirement: NC Licensure Required.
- Appointment Level: Fellow – Department of Otolaryngology, University of North Carolina
- Operating Privileges: Yes
- Clinic Responsibilities: Weekly Fellow clinic, and instructing residents in general clinics.
- Operative Experience: Entire spectrum of pediatric otolaryngology, open and endoscopic airway surgery, head and neck surgery, facial plastics surgery and microtia repair, surgical and laser treatment of vascular lesions, endoscopic sinus surgery, cleft lip and palate, cochlear implantation, chronic ear surgery.
- Research: Clinic and basic science opportunities available.
- Resident Supervision: Yes
- Case Load: Approximately 2,000 operative cases per year.
- Benefits: Medical, liability, life and disability insurance, travel and educational expenses.
- Additional information: The University is home to a free-standing Children’s Hospital, Pediatric Airway Center, Craniofacial Center and Pediatric Cochlear Implant Program. There would also be opportunities for research as well as rotations in pediatric anesthesia, pediatric pulmonary medicine and pediatric genetics.
Laura Swibel-Rosenthal, MD: 2009-2010
Lurie Childrens Hospital. Chicago, IL
Alisha West, MD: 2010-2011
University of California. Los Angeles, CA
James Ruda, MD: 2011-2012
Nationwide Children’s Hospital. Columbus, OH
Lorien Paulson, MD: 2012-2013
Children’s Mercy. Kansas City, MO
Jason Roberts, MD: 2013-2014
Private Practice. Asheville, NC
Jonathan Walsh, MD: 2014-2015
John Hopkins Hospital. Baltimore, MD
Wade McClain, MD: 2015-2016
University of North Carolina. Chapel Hill, NC
Gabriel Gomez, MD: 2016-2017