Adult Patient Referrals
Learn about important appointment information and safety during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Who can make a referral:
We currently are accepting requests for new patient appointments from outpatient clinicians to whom we will send a report and recommend appropriate follow-up care with us or elsewhere. We are unable to accommodate self-referrals or referrals directly from emergency departments.
New! E-consult Service now offered
We also offer an ambulatory e-consult service to referring providers who have specific clinical questions regarding their patients’ care. This service offers patients and their providers’ access to a formal, one-time consultation that includes a thorough chart review and a written recommendation that is sent back to the referring provider within three days.
We provide subspecialty services in the following areas:
- Movement Disorders
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Transverse Myelitis
- Neuromuscular Disorders*
- Sleep Disorders
*If requesting procedure-only referral such as EMG, EEG, video EEG, VEP, SSEP, lumbar puncture, or sleep study, please fax your referral to (984) 974-1667.
**Please contact the NC Cancer Hospital for referrals to Dr. Yasmine Rauf: New Patient Neuro-Oncology Scheduling: (984) 215-3627: Fax: (984) 974-8613; NC Cancer Hospital Main Line: (984) 974-0000.
Due to limited staffing, limited clinical space, and other considerations, we are currently unable to provide services for the following conditions: low back pain, primary psychiatric disorders, chronic vertigo, TBI/PTSD and fibromyalgia. Please see the “Provider Resources” section below for the contact information of specialists who may be able to provide you with expertise for these conditions.
If you are seeking a consult for a disorder not listed above, please submit a referral request and we will review our ability to provide you with assistance.
How to make a referral:
- In order to expedite the care of your patient, please provide the specific reason for the consult request and fully complete the referral form. Also, please include the patient’s current contact and insurance information.
- Providers who have access to UNC CareLink may submit a referral request online. If you would like to enroll, click on UNC CareLink and select “Request an Account.” You may wish to download an overview of the referral portal or view a step-by-step guide on how to sign up.
- If you don’t have a UNC CareLink account, please fax a completed Referral Form, including the specific referral question and pertinent records to (984) 974-2285. If you have any questions, please call (984) 974-4401 or email email@example.com.
- For Neuro-Oncology referrals to Dr. Yasmin Rauf, please contact the NC Cancer Hospital: New Patient Neuro-Oncology Scheduling: (984) 215-3627: Fax: (984) 974-8613; NC Cancer Hospital Main Line: (984) 974-0000.
- For Neurogenetics referrals please use the UNC Neurogenetics Referral Form. For UNC internal referrals to neurogenetics please place an Ambulatory Neurology referral order with “neurogenetics” and (if applicable) “genetic counseling” in the comments, along with specific reason for referral.
New patient referral process:
Referrals are first reviewed to determine the level of urgency and UNC’s ability to fulfill the consult request. We have streamlined our processing of urgent referrals to be completed within 48 hours of receipt should the referring provider/office contact our office to inform us of the reason for urgency. We ask that the referring provider be available to discuss the reason for urgent consideration with one of our reviewing physicians, as this will ensure proper triaging and timely scheduling when appropriate.
Non-urgent referrals are otherwise processed within three to five business days often by a clinician to ensure the patient receives the most appropriate care within our clinic. Our staff will contact the patient directly to schedule an appointment.
The UNC Hospitals Adult Neurology Clinic recently moved to a new location just off of NC Highway 54 at 300 Meadowmont Village Circle, Suite #202, Chapel Hill. The facility is easily accessible and offers free on-site parking for patients.
The UNC Hospitals Sleep Laboratory is located within the UNC Hospital complex at 101 Manning Drive in Chapel Hill.
Information on all UNC Neurology locations including Raleigh >
The following provides the contact information of specialists who may be able to offer expertise for services that we are not equipped to treat at this time.
Low Back Pain – UNC Hospitals Imaging and Spine Center or UNC Hospitals Pain Management Center
- Spine Center – The Center prefers referrals to come electronically via UNC Carelink. Start the process by entering an Ambulatory Referral to the Spine Center. There is an option after this to specify a specialty if desired; the Center has spine specialists from PM&R, Ortho and Neurosurgery. If you do not have UNC CareLink, you may submit a referral by faxing (919) 966-9094 or by calling (984) 974-4200. Please note that referrals are not necessarily required.
- UNC Hospitals Pain Management Center – Submit referrals through UNC CareLink or fax a referral form to (984) 974-6793. For more information, call (984) 974-6688.
Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) – UNC Department of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
Submit a referrals through UNC CareLink or fax a referral form to (984) 974-9786. For more information, call (984) 974-9747 or visit their website.
Fibromyalgia – UNC Hospitals Pain Management Center
Submit referrals through UNC CareLink or fax a referral form to (984) 974-6793. For more information, call (984) 974-6688.