Application and Interview Process
The formal application on-line application must be completed no later than November 1 and should include:
- A completed on-line APPIC Application for Psychology Internship (AAPI Online). AAPI Online is available from the APPIC Web site: www.appic.org
- The AAPI application should include:
- A cover letter
- Graduate transcripts
- Three letters of reference
- The cover letter should indicate the reasons that you are interested in this internship and the track or tracks for which you are applying.
At the end of the cover letter, for the purpose of scheduling interviews, list internship track preferences and interview date preferences.
2023 Interview Dates: January 10 – January 11 – January 19 – January 20
All interviews will be held virtually
You may choose one or two tracks for which you wish to be considered for interviews. Please rank order your preferences for interviews by putting your top choice first. You may also indicate interview date preferences. Please use the following format:
Internship Track Interview Preferences
Interview Date Preferences (in order of preference)
[NOTE: We are asking for your interview preferences in accordance with APPIC Match Policy 3d. We will use this information for the scheduling of interviews only, and will not use it for any other purpose in the selection process. We need this information because we have limited interview slots, and must make choices about where and with whom applicants can interview.]
Applicants may be invited for an interview after a review of application materials. We arrange interviews for the mutual benefit of both the applicant who seeks to meet with our faculty to receive information on the program and faculty who wish to learn more about the applicant’s interests, experiences and fit with the program. The following options are available:
- Virtual personal interviews will be scheduled by invitation on the dates listed above. During the day, scheduled from 8:30-5:30, faculty and interns in the applicant’s area of interest will be available to discuss the training program.
2. Requests for interviews at times other than the designated January period may be honored under special circumstances. Although the Director of Training may be available at alternative times, contact with other faculty and current interns cannot be guaranteed.
There will be a preliminary screening of all applicants; not every interested applicant will be accepted for an interview. We will notify any applicant no longer being considered as soon as possible. Applicants still under consideration will also be notified as soon as possible and offered the opportunity to attend one of the on-site interview dates. Applicants will be contacted no later than December 15.
Applicants are requested not to contact the training office regarding interviews prior to that date. We will make every effort to inform applicants of their status as early as possible.
This training program observes the guidelines regarding timing of internship offers and acceptances adopted by the Association of Psychology Postdoctoral and Internship Centers and the Councils of the University Director of Clinical and Counseling Programs. See a copy of these guidelines on the www.appic.org website. In applying to this internship facility, applicants are also agreeing to adhere to these guidelines.
This internship site agrees to abide by the APPIC Policy that no person at this training facility will solicit, accept, or use any ranking-related information from any intern applicant prior to Uniform Notification Day.
Cover letters should be addressed to:
Crystal Schiller, Ph.D., Director of Psychology Training
UNC School of Medicine Clinical Psychology Internship, CB#7160
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-7160
Dr. Schiller may be reached for questions at (919) 966-4810 (phone) and via email at firstname.lastname@example.org