How To Apply
The Department of Medicine Physician Scientist Training Program includes clinical and scientific training through the Physician Scientist Pathway of our Internal Medicine Residency. The program also includes substantial supplemental career development support provided by the department.
There is an integrated process for application to the Physician Scientist Pathway Residency and for Physician Scientist Training Program career development support.
Apply through ERAS as a Physician Scientist Pathway (1900140C1) applicant, please also indicate whether you would like to be considered as a categorical program (1900140C0) applicant as well.
2. Letter of Recommendation
Letters of recommendation should be sent with the application to through the ERAS system:
- One letter should be provided by a scientific mentor with direct knowledge of your scientific training experience and should comment on your qualifications as a physician scientist trainee (this letter is required)
- Please request that your letter writers state that their letter is in support of your application for Internal Medicine Research Pathway training and the specific sub-specialty to which you are applying (we recognize your subspecialty interest may change but this should reflect the training you are currently most interested in pursuing).
3. Supplemental Application Form
Applicants should complete a supplemental application form that provides us with information about your candidacy for the career development support provided by the Department of Medicine Physician Scientist Training Program at UNC. The supplemental application form includes:
- The subspecialty, or subspecialties, you intend to pursue
- A list of awards and grants you have received recognizing your research accomplishments
- A list of peer reviewed publications that are published or accepted
- A list of manuscripts that are under review or in preparation
- A synopsis of your previous research experience including a description of the project and its significance as well as your contributions to the work.
Email our Program Director, the Internal Medicine Residency Program Director, and the Physician Scientist Training Program Administration:
- Physician Scientist Program Director: Joseph (Alex) Duncan
Internal Medicine Residency Program Director: Debra Bynum
Interviews for this program are conducted over two days and include exposure to the Medicine Residency, the Physician Scientist Training Program, and are coordinated with the subspecialty training program of interest. Specific interview dates will be assigned for each subspecialty and will be posted prior to the opening of ERAS application submissions. Please reserve a date associated with the subspecialty of your interest as a potential interview date on your calendar.
6. National Residency Match Program Ranking
Positions in the Physician Scientist Pathway Internal Medicine Residency are assigned by the National Residency Match Program (NMRP). After your interviews are complete, your interest in joining the UNC Department of Medicine PSTP is noted by ranking the program (1900140C1) on your NRMP preference list.
Thank You For Your Interest
We appreciate your interest in in applying to our program and are happy to provide additional information about the program or application process. Please email the Program director with any inquiries.