Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
The Department of Neurology at UNC embraces the Association of American Medical Colleges’ (AAMC) definition of diversity including the recognition that diversity is not limited to gender, race and ethnicity, but must also include age, socioeconomic status, sexual orientation, gender identity, religious commitment, physical ability and other varied backgrounds and life experiences.
Our vision is to be the most diverse, equitable and inclusive neurology department in the Southeast U.S.
Our mission is to have diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) as core values that drive decision-making, resource allocation and the development of policies and daily practices.
Alongside the UNC School of Medicine’s Office of Diversity and Inclusion, the Department of Neurology aims to recruit, retain and support diverse students, staff, and faculty to ensure a vibrant community that promotes excellence in education, discovery, clinical care and the elimination of health disparities locally, regionally and nationally through the following immediate strategic priorities:
- Require training of all faculty and staff in implicit bias.
- Hold dedicated grand rounds and lectures on topics vital to diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Hold quarterly DEI committee meetings to review diversity-related topics.
- Track and address DEI-related issues.
- Publish newsletters and spotlight interviews with faculty and staff.
- Track health care disparities across patients that we serve.
- Build mentorships that support diversity, equity and inclusion
Learn more about DEI at the UNC School of Medicine >
UNC Neurology in Numbers
Below is a rough snapshot of the department’s diversity based upon our 2021 Neurology in Numbers survey (72 responses out of 242 people in the department).
|Please contact Associate Professor Dr. Angela Wabulya, the Department of Neurology’s DEI liaison, for more information about our efforts.
UNC Neurology faculty and staff may submit questions, comments and concerns regarding DEI-related topics through the department portal.