Child Patient Referrals
Who Can Make a Referral:
At present, we are only able to accept referrals from outpatient providers actively following the referred patient. We are unable to accept personal referrals or referrals directly from emergency department visits.
How To Refer a Patient:
We currently are unable to offer consultative services for concussion, learning difficulties, behavior problems, ADHD or autism (except if there is a concern about comorbid epilepsy).
- Providers who have access to the can submit a referral online. If you would like to enroll, click on the link and select “Request an Account.” You may wish to download an overview of the referral portal or view a step-by-step guide.
- If you don’t have a UNC CareLink account, please fax a completed referral form, including a specific referral question and records to (919) 966-2922. Please call (984) 974-1401 if you have any questions.
In order to avoid a delay of the referral process please be sure to answer all parts of the referral form including:
- the specific question (reason for consult);
- complete, accurate contact information for the patient;
- and insurance information if applicable.
The new patient referral process:
- Referrals are reviewed to determine the level of urgency and whether or not the referral reason is appropriate for a Child Neurology consult.
- For emergent referral or urgent referrals requiring a visit within a few days, please call the Carolina Consult Center and ask for the attending child neurologist on call at (800) 862-6264.
- Non-urgent referrals are processed in three to five business days.
- If the referral is approved, our schedulers will contact the patient directly for an appointment.
- If the referral is declined, our schedulers will inform the referring provider via fax or the referral portal if applicable.