DEI Trainings/DEI Certificate Program
The DEI Certificate Program is an initiative from the SOM Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in support of the 2019 SOM Strategic Plan to foster an inclusive workplace environment. The program’s curriculum offers workshops and trainings designed to broaden awareness about Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion topics among the SOM faculty/staff and deepen engagement with and between individuals in the SOM at all levels – from patients to leadership. The workshops accepted as part of the certificate program address a broad array of DEI topics, including those related to race and ethnicity, gender and sexual orientation, culture and religion, socioeconomic status, and more.
DEI Program Structure
To earn the SOM DEI Certificate, program participants must complete six approved DEI offerings (2 required workshops and 4 elective workshops). Workshops will be offered on a regular basis and we anticipate that it will take at least 3 semesters to complete the certificate requirements.
Two workshops will be required for certificate completion:
- Unconscious Bias – This workshop explores unintended/implicit bias and introduces foundational concepts that are necessary for additional engagement with DEI-related topics and issues. This workshop will be offered every other month throughout the year and is strongly recommended to be the first training that participants attend.
- Respecting All – This workshop explores biased behavior prevalent in the SOM and presents a model for responding to these acts of disrespect and discrimination. The workshop will be offered every other month throughout the year.
The four elective workshops can be options offered through the ODEI or other select workshops specified below:
- Racial Justice workshop (offered by SOM ODEI)
- Relational Leadership at Carolina – email Relational_Leadership@unc.edu with questions or to register
- Racial Equity Institute’s Phase 1 or Phase 2 (2-day training)
- Safe Zone (standard) or Health Care Safe Zone – offered by the UNC LGBTQ Center – Once completed, please forward your certificate to Isaiah Mckeithan (email@example.com
- Opening Doors (sponsored by UNC SOM HR)
- “Can We Talk About Race?” (offered each Spring at the Ackland Museum)
- Green Zone (offered through the Carolina Veterans Resource Center)
- UncdocuCarolina (for information email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Poverty Simulation (previously offered by the UNC Center for Health Equity Research–no longer offered)
Who Should Participate?
This program is for SOM faculty and staff. Individuals within the SOM should take advantage of this program as a means to learn about DEI topics and to build inclusion into your department/unit and across the institution.
Online enrollment for the DEI Certificate Program is available to UNC SOM faculty and staff.
DEI Certificate Program Enrollment
When you believe you have met the requirements of the certificate, please reach out to Isaiah Mckeithan (email@example.com) to confirm workshop attendance and receive your certificate.
2022-2023 Training Schedules
Explores unintended/implicit bias and introduces foundational concepts that are necessary to additional engagement with DEI-related topics and issues. This workshop will be offered monthly throughout the year, and is strongly recommended to be first training that participants attend.
This workshop explores microaggressions and biased behavior prevalent in the SOM and provides participants tools with which to intervene when witnessing acts of disrespect and discrimination.
This workshop addresses structural racism in the United States. The workshop explores the history of race as a social construct and the effects of racism on our education and health care systems. It also engages participants in a discussion of how to combat structural racism within the School of Medicine.
For more information, contact Dr. Stephanie Brown.