Asian American Faculty Association
We invite you to join the UNC School of Medicine Asian American Faculty Association (AAFA) with the goal of supporting, empowering, and celebrating our Asian American (AA) faculty and fostering opportunities for networking, communication, and growth.
- To Increase education and dialogue on issues affecting Asian Americans
- Support leadership, career development, and advancement among AA faculty
- Foster the exchange of diverse intellectual, social, cultural, and political perspectives from the AA faculty
- Enhance the University’s diversity commitment to teaching, service, and outreach to the Asian American community
- Collaborate with other UNC organizations to advance diversity, equity, and social justice
Recent HappeningsView More News
Leonard D. Palumbo Distinguished Professor of Gynecologic Oncology
Develop and create regular communications (interest stories, opinion pieces), communicate with SOM and healthcare system, managing website (or whichever communication platform is determined to be best), provide updates from other committees.
Members: Drs. Ganesh Kamath, Michael Wang, & Michael Yeung
Event planning with an eye towards strengthening specific AAFA networks (e.g., professional role, ethnicity, mothering, sports interests, other), fostering member engagement, opportunities to meet and network.
Members: Drs. Arielle Perez, Muneera Kapadia, Lee-Ching Zhu, & Priyanka Vedak
Advocacy and Community Engagement:
Explore ways to engage with the local and national Asian American community with a focus on service and advocacy.
Members: Drs. Vibhor Kirshna, Vimal Derbail, Vinay Chaudhry, Zahra Girnary, & Mia Kang
Create seminars, workshops, lectures around promotion and leadership building, utilizing UNC resources e.g., SOM Faculty Development, other UNC leadership programs on campus.
Members: Drs. Zev Nakamura (Chair), Michelle Itano, Koyal Jain, Karina Whelan, Chrissy Kistler, Weiming Tang, & Dana Iglesias
Connecting with undergraduate students, medical students, and residents to advise, mentor, coach and support future AA scientists, physicians, and healthcare providers.
Members: View AAFA Mentoring Committee