- Associate Professor of Pediatrics and Neurology – Child Neurology, Neurodevelopmental Disabilities
- Carolina Institute of Developmental Disabilities (CIDD)
I am a neurodevelopmental neurologist with a clinical and research focus on neurodevelopmental conditions across the lifespan. I am developing a multi-disciplinary, comprehensive program of translational research around detection (particularly early detection) and multi-modal interventions (including pharmacotherapeutics, cognitive-behavioral therapies, and community support and services).
I have great interest in expanding complementary pre-clinical studies relevant to developing therapeutics for rare neurogenetic neurodevelopmental disorders (NDDs) across multiple levels of analysis and across multiple conditions throughout the lifespan, realizing that the developmental framework is a lifetime perspective. Individuals born with NDDs are at increased risk for conditions later in life. Whether occurring early (as in NDDs) or late (as in NDGDs), I am interested in studying the cascade of factors over the course of development that lead to disorders of the brain.
I am currently leading several clinical trials in Angelman syndrome, Fragile X syndrome, and Tuberous Sclerosis Complex through the Carolina Institute for Developmental Disabilities in collaboration with the Department of Neurology and UNC Neuroscience Center.
Clinically, I diagnose and treat a variety of neurodevelopmental and neurogenetic conditions in children and adults.
- Children and adults with tuberous sclerosis complex (all aspects of TSC including a separate TSC-associated Neuropsychiatric Disorders [TAND] Clinic at the CIDD)
- Neurofibromatosis Type 1
- Children and adults with autism spectrum disorders and associated conditions (e.g. seizures, behavior)
- Neurogenetic conditions including but not limited to Angelman syndrome, Fragile X syndrome, Down syndrome, Dup 15q, and others
- Behavioral challenges associated with neurodevelopmental conditions
- Board Certified in Pediatrics, 2011
- Board Certified in Neurology with Special Qualification in Child Neurology, 2012
- Board Certified in Neurodevelopmental Disabilities, 2013
- Doctor of Medicine (MD)
Albany Medical College, 2006
- Bachelor of Arts, Biology with Honors, Magna cum laude
Ithaca College, 2002
- Combined Residency in Child Neurology and Neurodevelopmental Disabilities
Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center, 2006-2012
- Residency in Pediatrics
Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center, 2006-2008
- Carolina Institute of Developmental Disabilities
- Epilepsy Neurogenetics Initiative
- Neurofibromatosis and Neurocutaneous Disorders Clinic
- Patient Ratings (when available) – Physician satisfaction data is posted when a physician has received a minimum of 30 returned patient surveys.