General Psychiatry Residency Application Requirements
We are thrilled you are interested in applying to the UNC General Psychiatry Residency Program! Our four-year, ACGME-accredited residency program participates in the NRMP Match. Applications must be submitted through ERAS and are due by November 1st, with supporting documents due no later than November 30th. Once we have received your completed ERAS file, your application will receive careful consideration for an invitation to interview. Please note that visiting students are not automatically granted an interview.
A completed application for residency will include:
- MSPE; Applications must be submitted through ERAS and are due by November 1st, with supporting documents due no later than November 30th.
- Official Medical School Transcripts; IMG have at least six months of U.S. clinical experience and not be away from medical school, externships, or active practice for more than five years. (This requirement may not be applicable to US-trained DO applicants.)
- Official USMLE Transcripts:
– a passing STEP 1 score is required for an interview
– a passing STEP 2 score is required for consideration; – we acknowledge difficulty during this time and will consider individuals who could not take US MLE because of COVID-19 on a case by case basis. J-1 visa accepted, but it must be obtained by the individual. (UNC Health Care does not sponsor H-1B visas)
- ECFMG Status Reports for all International Medical Graduates (see below for additional information); See the answer above in question #5– must not be away from practice more than 5 years.
- Two (2) or more Letters of Recommendation*, including:
– One (1) from a psychiatrist with whom you have worked
– One (1) from a physician (non-resident) who has knowledge
of your experience, ability, educational accomplishments,
– An additional letter from a research/graduate degree
advisor (if not as described above) may also be submitted
- If applicable, letters from Training Directors of all current and/or previous residency programs.
*Note: We no longer require a letter from the Chair of Psychiatry (or designee) at your institution.
DO / IMG Information
D.O. Applicants are NOT required to submit USMLE scores in addition to their COMLEX scores.
IMG Applicants are required to:
- have a J-1 visa (UNC Health Care does not sponsor H-1B visas)
- hold a current ECFMG Certificate (be certified by January 31st)
- obtain a passing USMLE score in no more than two attempts
- have at least six months of U.S. clinical experience and not be away from medical school, externships, or active practice for more than five years
If you have any questions or need any additional information, please feel free to contact our coordinators!