Become Our Patient
SHAC is a student-led, free-of-service clinic with a mission is to:
Provide free health services to our uninsured and underinsured neighbors in Carrboro, Chapel Hill and Durham
Partner with communities to develop and implement sustainable programs
Create an interdisciplinary service-learning environment for students in the health science programs at UNC
Hours & Directions to Clinic
Medical Clinic/ Chronic Care / HIV & STI / Gender Affirming Care / Physical Therapy /Mental Health / Ophthalmology / GYN Wellness / Well Child:
Our free medical clinic operates every Wednesday from 6:00PM to 10:00PM
Carrboro Community Health Center
301 Lloyd St
Carrboro, NC 27510
UNC School of Dentistry
Ground Floor, Tarrson Hall
101 Manning Drive
Chapel Hill, NC 27599
What We Offer
SHAC Medical Clinic provides a wide range of primary care services for free including:
- Acute care for minor medical problems
- Health examinations and counseling
- Screening for hypertension, hyperlipidemia, diabetes etc.
- Physical examinations for school/work/camp
- Childhood vaccinations
We provide interpreting services in both Spanish and Mandarin. Learn more about us.
Need assistance with musculoskeletal complaints? We are able to address concerns such as:
- Recovery from a physical injury
- Injury prevention
- Post-operative rehabilitation
- Education about issues including incontinence, osteoporosis, pre-and post natal exercise, and back pain during pregnancy
- Create exercise prescriptions for patients who have high blood pressure, are diabetic, or overweight
- Education about back care, foot care, and safe occupational body habits.
SHAC Well Child enables:
- School-age children to receive all required vaccinations and physical examinations as necessary for school entry and participation in school activities
- Counseling and education regarding healthy lifestyle choices to children and their parents
- Connects parents to healthcare payment assistance options and to options for affordable healthcare.
Our dental clinic provides the following free services:
Healthcare Insurance Assistance
Get Covered Carolina (GCC) helps guide uninsured members of the community through the process of applying for health insurance coverage. GCC is officially recognized as a Certified Application Counselor organization by the US Department of Health and Human Services.
Our Flourish program helps equip individuals with the knowledge, skills, and support they need to eat well. Our hope is that through cooking and nutrition classes, we can help people incorporate healthy eating into their lives.
SHAC ophthalmology offers the following free services:
- Evaluation of changes in vision that are not medical emergencies
- Visual acuity testing
- Glaucoma screening
- Cataract evaluation
- Diabetic retinopathy screening
- Referrals to the Residents’ Clinic at UNC Kittner Eye Center
HIV & STI
HIV & STI offers the following free services:
- Rapid tests for HIV, Hepatitis C, and syphilis
- Gonorrhea and Chlamydia testing
- Pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) referrals
- Education, prevention, and harm reduction information/resources
Medication Assistance Program (MAP) helps patients apply to assistance programs to get their medications for free!
Transitional Long-Term Care (Chronic Conditions)
If you have a chronic condition such as:
- Hypertension (high blood pressure)
- Hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism
- Other chronic conditions
You can work with our team to find a primary care physician that can provide more consistent and effective care.
Mental Health Services
Free mental health services include :
- Substance use
- Chronic pain
- Interpersonal issues (we do not provide couple therapy)
Gender Affirming Care
The services we provide include:
- Hormonal therapy
- General primary care
- Letters of support for surgery
- & referrals to other resources and providers
SHAC GYN Wellness Clinic provides free visits every third Wednesday of the month for patients seeking reproductive and gynecologic health care. Services include:
- Reproductive and sexual health wellness visits
- Breast exams
- Pelvic exams
- Pap smears
- STI testing
- Birth control and menopause treatments are also available. If patients are interested in contraception or medications, please review our FAQs prior to the appointment.
SHAC Social Needs Navigation is a free service offered to the community to help guide patients through the medical system and reduce barriers to care. We aim to provide resources, navigation, and support across the domains of communication, transportation, housing and utilities, financial assistance, food security, and emotional and physical wellbeing.