Location & Hours
We operate alongside medical clinic on the first Wednesday of every month from 5:30PM to 8:30PM on an appointment only basis; no walk-ins are available at this time. We provide free basic ophthalmologic screenings. We are located at:
Carrboro Community Health Center
301 Lloyd St
Carrboro, NC 27510
What is an Eye Exam?
A general ophthalmology (the study of medical conditions relating to the eye) visit involves testing vision, measuring eye pressure, calculating a prescription if needed, and examining the eye anatomy. To better visualize different parts of the eye, dilation drops are used which will widen the pupil. It is safe to drive home with dilated eyes, but it might be challenging to read after the visit for a few hours.
Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions!
We provide the following services:
- Evaluation of changes in vision that are not medical emergencies
- Visual acuity testing
- Glaucoma screening
- Cataract evaluation
- Diabetic retinopathy screening
- Referrals to the Residents’ Clinic at UNC Kittner Eye Center
We do not prescribe glasses or manage chronic conditions, such as glaucoma, on a regular basis.
Volunteers get hands-on exposure evaluating ocular diseases. Our mentor is Dr. Maurice Landers, a UNC Professor of Ophthalmology and vitreoretinal specialist. He has served as Chief of Retina Service at the Duke University Eye Center and University of California-Davis, and we are fortunate to have him as an instructor. Volunteering at SHAC Ophtho provides excellent opportunities for students to practice the eye exam, interact with UNC Ophthalmology faculty and residents, and serve the local community.
Make an Appointment
If you are experiencing an emergency, call 911 or go to the UNC Hospitals Emergency Department at 101 Manning Dr, Chapel Hill, NC.
2 Options to schedule an appointment:
- Call 984-538-1031, wait for the line to finish ringing and then leave a message with your full name, phone number, and the reason for your visit. To reduce the risk to patients and caregivers, you can request a telehealth appointment by phone or video chat for patients with concerns that can be evaluated remotely.
- Please fill out this request form.
For questions related to the SHAC Ophthalmology Clinic, please contact email@example.com.