Sexuality, Pride, Education, Care, Truth, Respect and Unity in Medicine (SEPCTRUM)
SPECTRUM is an organization created to serve LGBTQIA+ residents, fellows, and faculty at UNC. Our goal is to create community for our members and a network of queer-inclusive physicians serving our LGBTQIA+ patients.
- To create a safe space for LGBTQIA+ residents, fellows, and faculty to gather and find support as we navigate medical careers
- To provide mentorship among our members as we tackle career and personal challenges
- To create a network of queer-inclusive and competent physicians for LGBTQIA+ patients across all medical specialties and settings
We invite you to join SPECTRUM to be part of our community and grow visibility, inclusion, and the equitable advancement of LGBTQIA+ physicians at UNC. We welcome all residents, fellows and faculty members regardless of outness in our kind and safe group. You belong!
Our Leadership Team
Dr. Rosengren-Hovee spoke at the American College of Rheumatology annual meeting in Philadelphia in November 2022 about inclusive care for sexual and gender minoritized patients.
Dr. Kimel-Scott leads the Internal Medicine Residency’s LGBTQ elective, and has been instrumental in starting the HIV Certificate Program for Internal Medicine residents, which launched this year.
Dr. Russel had two letters to the editor published that covered LGBTQIA2S+ representation among physicians and medical trainees.
Russel, Sarah M. “The Power of Sponsorship.” Academic Medicine (October 2022). Online ahead of print.
Russel, Sarah M. “Let Me Be Perfectly Queer: Improving Sexual Orientation & Gender Identity Data Collection.” Medical Education (May 2022). Online ahead of print.
Resources for SPECTRUM Members and Allies
Help us cultivate a safe space and community for queer and queer-affirming physicians. If you have a resource that you think would benefit our community, we welcome suggestions via e-mail (listed below).
UNC LGBTQ Center
Provides lists of campus programs, resources, and events for LGBTQ+ students, faculty, staff, and alumni.
Health Sciences Library LGBTQIA+ Page
Provides patient resources, links to websites and videos, and guidance on research, clinical education, and advocacy for LGBTQIA+ patients.
Community Groups in the Triangle
- LGBTQ Center of Durham https://www.lgbtqcenterofdurham.org/
- LGBT Center of Raleigh https://www.lgbtcenterofraleigh.com/
Trainings and Training Resources
- Safe Zone Training: This half-day workshop trains learners on fundamentals of the LGBTQIA+ community, health inequities, and ways to provide queer-affirming health care. You will receive a certification for completing this training. https://lgbtq.unc.edu/safe-zone-trainee-hub/
- Human Rights Campaign Health Equality Index Training Options: The HRC has compiled trainings about LGBTQIA+ patient-centered care that can be completed virtually. https://www.thehrcfoundation.org/professional-resources/hei-training-options They also provide links to best practices for treating LGBTQIA+ patients.
- Campaign for Southern Equality: This organization, which aims to improve the wellbeing of LGBTQIA+ folks in the South, provides trainings on LGBTQIA+ issues as well as information on other resources and initiatives that may be useful to those caring for queer patients. https://southernequality.org/our-work/community-health-project/