Our mission is to improve the health and wellbeing of North Carolinians and others whom we serve. We accomplish this by providing leadership and excellence in the interrelated areas of patient care, education, and research. We strive to promote faculty, staff and learner development in a diverse, respectful environment where our colleagues demonstrate professionalism, enhance learning, and create personal and professional sustainability. We optimize our partnership with the UNC Health Care System through close collaboration and a commitment to service.
Our goal is to be the nation’s leading public school of medicine.
A Rich Tradition of Excellence and Care
Building for the Future
Our vision is to be the nation’s leading public school of medicine.
Our mission is to improve the health and wellbeing of North Carolinians and others whom we serve through excellence in patient care, education and research.
We will promote health and provide superb clinical care while maintaining our strong tradition of reaching underserved populations and reducing health disparities across North Carolina and beyond.
We will prepare tomorrow’s health care professionals and biomedical researchers by facilitating learning within innovative and integrated curricula and team oriented interprofessional education. We will cultivate outstanding teaching and research faculty, and we will recruit outstanding students and trainees from highly diverse backgrounds to create a socially responsible, highly skilled workforce.
We will develop and support a rich array of outstanding health sciences research programs, centers and resources. We will provide infrastructure and opportunities for collaboration amongst disciplines throughout and beyond our University to support outstanding research. We will foster programs in the areas of basic, translational, mechanistic and population research.
One Great Team
- We are better together than we are apart.
- Our effective collaboration is key to providing quality care.
- We are building an inclusive and equitable culture that encourages and supports the diverse voices of our patients and each other.
- We care holistically about patients and each other.
- It is our privilege to serve the people of North Carolina.
- We demonstrate kindness and compassion in every interaction.
Leading the Way
- We make a difference by improving lives every day and training the next generation of health care leaders.
- Our research is changing the world.
- We provide innovative care.
It Starts with Me
- Each of us takes ownership of, and accountability for, doing the right thing.
- We empower and trust each other to step up.
- We support each other and hold each other accountable in our work.
Facts and Figures
In Primary Care Education
total research grants/contracts
among public universities in research
of SOM grads enter residencies
in North Carolina
For MD graduates who are
Black or African American
Amount UNC SOM expected to surpass in fundraising for patient care, education advocacy, & research
Nobel Prize laureates
UNC SOM faculty inducted in
National Academy of Medicine
The Way Of A Teacher: Go And Do Likewise
Learn about the life and legacy of William de Berniere MacNider, dean of the UNC School of Medicine from 1937 to 1940.