About the MED Program
2020 MED APPLICATION UPDATES:
Due to the magnitude of the current corona-virus outbreak and its current and unpredictable future impact, as well as the uncertainty of the ongoing and future restrictions, and in the best interest of safety and well-being for all, we have made the difficult decision to cancel the 2020 MED summer program. We did not reach this decision lightly. We appreciate tremendously the time and effort students put into their applications and understand this is difficult news to hear during a time that has already required so much of so many.
MED DECISIONS – 2020
At this time, we are still reviewing all applications as well as preparing resources and forms of virtual support for students. We will still email decisions regarding your MED application and anticipate those to go out via email no later than the end of May*:
*Please note, this is an updated timeframe to allow staff time to not only make decisions, but also prepare virtual resources for all applicants regardless of decision. We are working diligently, but are all at the mercy of the rapidly changing demands of COVID-19 and appreciate patience and understanding at this time.
If you are accepted for MED 2020:
- You have an automatic deferred acceptance to MED 2021
- We understand your plans for this summer as well as next may change over the course of this next year.
- You are not bound to participate in MED 2021, but we want you to know you have a position should your plans still allow you to participate next summer.
- For record keeping purposes, this deferral may still require you to complete the online application for 2021 when the application opens in October 2020.
- You will be notified in October if that is necessary.
- Please note, will be contacted periodically throughout the year with information regarding MED 2021 that may require a time-sensitive response.
If you are wait listed for MED 2020:
- you will be given first consideration should accepted 2020 applicants decline their deferral.
If you are rejected for MED 2020:
- You will have the opportunity to sign-up for phone feedback appointments during the summer of 2020.
- A sign-up link will be emailed out with the decisions.
MED often represents the next step in your journey to a career in the health professions. We are working diligently to create online resources for all applicants. We will send out links/packets to all MED applicants later this spring that are geared towards one of two distinct paths:
- Current (2021 cycle) applicants to health professions school
- Future applicants to health professions school
We hope these resources will provide some guidance and support during a time you may find it difficult to meet with advisors and mentors regularly or in person.
Our entire staff is currently working remotely and unable to answer any phone calls at this time.
If you have a question regarding this email, please contact Claudis Polk firstname.lastname@example.org or Lisa Long email@example.com. We will respond as timely as possible given current events. We urge you all to stay safe and well
The Medical Education Development (MED) Program is an intensive educational experience and challenging opportunity to gain insight into the realities of attending medical or dental school.
The MED Program was established in 1974 and is designed to increase opportunities in the health professions for individuals who demonstrate educational promise and commitment to a health career but who have lacked opportunities in the past in moving toward their professional goals. The MED Program is sponsored by the University of North Carolina Schools of Medicine and Adams School of Dentistry, and the State of North Carolina. The program offers a structured summer curriculum at the level of professional education to increase the ability of advanced pre-professional candidates, especially those who are underrepresented, to compete successfully for admission to health professional schools.