The University of North Carolina School of Medicine (SOM) seeks a collaborative leader to serve as the Assistant Dean for Admissions in the Offices of Medical Student Education. This position reports directly to the Associate Dean for Admissions.
The Assistant Dean for Admissions provides leadership in recruitment, admission, and matriculation of prospective medical students into the UNC SOM. The Assistant Dean will work closely with the Associate Dean for Admissions and the Senior Director for Admissions. This individual will also work collaboratively with the entire Offices of Medical Student Education (OMSE) at UNC-Chapel Hill and other educational leaders.
Major Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Engage in Admissions interview days to support coordination, participate in interviewing, and engagement with potential students to the UNC SOM.
- Participate in Admissions Committee activities, such as evaluation of applications for interview, admission, waitlist, and scholarship.
- Assist the Associate Dean for Admissions with regular data reporting.
- Participate in recruitment events for pre-health events or for UNC SOM applicants.
- Engage with OMSE leadership (esp. Student Affairs and Curricular Affairs) to ensure smooth transition of accepted applicants into the SOM.
- Partner with Office of Scholastic Enrichment and Equity (OSEE).
- Coordinate with UNC main campus advisory board for pre-health advisory committees and support.
- Partner with UNC SOM Financial Aid team and Assistant Director of Scholarships in evaluation of students for scholarships.
- Engage nationally to be current on innovations in admissions practices and enhance UNC’s national reputation through scholarly presentations and publications
- An MD or MD/PhD
- The chosen candidate must have an appointment to the faculty of one of the departments of the School of Medicine
- Demonstrated commitment to advance a supportive work and learning culture where all individuals have the opportunity to thrive
- Effective communication and organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to act deliberately in sensitive situations with strong conflict management skills
- Excellent skills to work collaboratively on a team
- Demonstrated ability to lead and to develop professional staff teams
Consideration of internal candidates will begin immediately. We invite all interested candidates to submit application materials to Courtney Sola (Courtney.Sola@unchealth.unc.edu) by Sunday, November 5 at 11:59p. A committee chaired by Dr. Kenan Penaskovic will review and interview the candidates.
Application materials to submit:
- 1-page cover letter
- Curriculum vitae
- Documentation from the candidate’s Department chair that they are aware of the applicant’s interest in this position and will agree to their time and effort for this role if selected. The applicant must be able to commit 40% FTE to this position.
Kenan Penaskovic, MD | Assistant Dean for Student Affairs; Vice-Chair of Clinical Affairs, Department of Psychiatry; Chair of Search Committee
Erin Bakal, MS, EdD| Academic Specialist and Medical Education Supervisor, Wake Med
Meredith Bazemore, MPA | Director, Office of Rural Initiatives
Ashmita Chatterjee, MD | Associate Professor, Internal Medicine and Pediatrics
Sheila Graham-McDonald, MBA | Assistant Director of Financial Aid, Office of Student Affairs
Animesh Jain, MD, MAED | Associate Professor, Department of Medicine; Faculty Director, Office of Academic Excellence
Claudis Polk, MA | Director, Office of Scholastic Enrichment and Equity
Evan Raff, MD | Associate Professor, Dept. of Medicine; Co-course Director, Foundation Phase Medical Science Courses