General benefits (health, dental, life, and AD&D insurance) for residents are provided by the UNC Hospitals Office of Graduate Education (GME) office. Optional benefits for residents, spouses, and dependents are also available through the GME office.
Additional benefits provided by the Department of Neurology:
- The department pays the registration fee for the ABPN certification exam for all residents who successfully complete the residency training program.
- Three weeks of paid vacation each year, one week of which includes either Christmas or New Year’s Day.
- Paid membership to the American Academy of Neurology.
- Paid membership to the Child Neurology Society.
- Annual book and travel allowance for all residents.
- Senior residents (PGY5) are provided with additional funds to pay for travel and registration to attend the annual AAN meeting.
- Supplemental travel funds are provided to any resident presenting original work at meetings or medical conferences.
- Meal allowance for each in-house overnight on-call period to be used in the many UNC Hospitals eateries.
- Travel services for any overnight shifts
- The department pays for licenses and certain board review courses.