Apply to Our Program
The UNC Child Neurology Residency Program is an ACGME-accredited program (PGY1-PGY5) that accepts two categorical, five-year positions (PGY1-PGY5) per year. The first two years (PGY1-PGY2) are spent with the Department of Pediatrics followed by three years with the Department of Neurology.
Applications are submitted through the National Residency Matching Program (NRMP) using the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) system. Applicants need only apply to the UNC Child Neurology residency via ERAS – a separate application to UNC Pediatrics is not necessary.
Watch an overview of the UNC Child Neurology residency program
Get to know the UNC Children’s Hospital
View more videos in the Video and Photo Gallery!
Follow us on Instagram and Twitter!
General Application and Interview Information
Our program participates in the NRMP and accepts applications through ERAS. Because we are a combined 5-year program, only one ERAS application needs to be submitted. Deadline for application is November 1. Criteria for all applicants include:
- Graduation from medical school no more than two years ago
- At least three letters of recommendation preferably from clinical attendings
- one letter should be from a pediatric faculty member
- one letter should be from a neurology faculty member
- Personal statement
- Passing Step I score at the time of application
- To be more competitive, a score of 210 on Step I is recommended
- COMLEX scores are not accepted
- Clinical experience in the United States
- If you are not a US Citizen, a J-1 visa is required
- Curriculum Vitae
- Photograph (optional, but preferred to track applicants after interviews)
Interview Dates and Schedule
For the 2022 – 2023 academic season, all interviews will be virtual. The dates are as follows:
- Thursday, November 3, 2022
- Thursday, November 17, 2022
- Thursday, December 1, 2022
- Thursday, December 15, 2022
- Thursday, January 5, 2023
Tentative Interview Day Schedule:
9:00 am – 9:30 am
Welcome from Program Leadership
9:30 am – 10:00 am
Q&A Session with Pediatric Chief Resident
10:00 am – 10:15 am
10:15 am – 11:45 am
Interviews with Faculty and Small Group Session with Program Leadership
11:45 am – 12:15 pm
12:15 pm – 1:00 pm
Q&A Session with Child Neurology Residents
1:00 pm – 1:30 pm
Educational Session presented by Child Neurology Faculty
1:30 pm – 2:00 pm
Why Come to CAROLINA?
Our Program Director and Coordinators
Questions regarding the application and interview process as well as general program questions may be directed to Dr. Yael Shiloh-Malawsky, Child Neurology Residency Program Director or Ashley Myles, Child Neurology Residency Coordinator. You may also contact the Pediatric Residency Coordinators: Kelly Lear or Denita Moore.
Frequently Asked Questions
Departmental Benefits include: annual $300 book fund, additional $1500 for travel during senior year, additional travel for presentations at conferences, annual AAN Memberships, medical license renewal fees, and one-time board exam registration and fees for all residents who successfully complete the residency training program. Learn more >