Overview – Education Fellowship
Becoming a leading educator in Emergency Medicine has become increasingly sophisticated. Necessary training and experience to be an educational leader in Emergency Medicine can be accelerated through specialized fellowship training. The Educational Fellowship in the UNC Emergency Department is focused on developing EM trained physicians for leading educational positions including clerkship directors, residency directors, educational deans, and other leadership positions within Emergency Departments and Academic Centers. The fellowship is two years in length and the fellow will develop expertise through the following:
Education and Training
- Online Master’s Degree in Education from the University of Cincinnati
- Medical Research Certificate (MERC) Program or ACEP Teaching Fellowship
- National Meeting Attendance at CORD, ACEP, and SAEM (possibly AAMC)
- Focused Mentorship
- Participation in CORD or CDEM committee
- Educational manuscript submission and abstract presentations
- Multiple resident or medical student lectures per year
- Multi-disciplinary educational collaborations
- Creation of educational innovations
- Creation of on-line and/ or podcast learning materials
Clinical and Teaching Excellence
- Academic and community clinical practice
- Junior faculty role and requirements
- Emergency Medicine Board Certification
Salary and Benefits
- Full Medical/Dental/Vision Plan
- Matching 401K
- CME Funds
All application materials must be submitted by September 30th of each year.
A selection committee will interview top candidates and announce appointments on November 14th or after.
All applications must include the following:
- Two letters of recommendation. One should be from your Residency Program Director. Letters should address your ability to work with vulnerable patient populations including older adults, to develop and implement a research project with a faculty mentor, commitment to education, and to provide quality clinical care.
- updated curriculum vitae
- A personal statement (1-2 pages) describing your reasons for pursuing a fellowship in Education and interest in applying to UNC.