UNC Department of Emergency Medicine is proud to offer an ACGME-accredited EMS Fellowship led by nationally renowned EMS faculty. The Fellowship goal is to provide promising EMS physicians with the opportunity to explore innovative systems management, prehospital research, and challenging educational objectives under the guidance of established EMS physician mentors in an academic setting.
The UNC EMS Fellowship will provide a solid education in all aspects of both ground and aeromedical systems, as well as medical direction at the state level and cutting edge prehospital information technology over a period of 12 months. The fellow will join the UNC faculty in medical direction for three very different EMS systems; an innovative EMS system in Orange County (urban/rural mix) which includes Chapel Hill, a much larger EMS system in Wake County (urban/suburban) which includes the city of Raleigh, and finally a rural EMS system in Caswell County. They will provide medical direction at large events in the area including UNC sporting events, campus events such as the Chapel Hill Halloween celebration, and big events in Raleigh such as the State Fair. Additionally, the fellow will participate in medical direction at the state level and be involved with PreMIS, the Prehospital Medical Information System, an evolving technology for web-based prehospital information management. The fellow will also be involved in tactical EMS concepts through involvement in the NC State Highway Patrol and attending a tactical EMS medical director’s course if interested. Fellows will also be introduced to Wilderness EMS concepts through a relationship with Dr. Seth Hawkins, medical director of Burke County. Finally, the fellow will also have the opportunity to interact with the Trauma Registry, a statewide database for traumatic injuries.
Salary and Benefits
Faculty appointment at the Instructor level. Standard benefits package with CME funding.
- J. Brent Myers, MD, MPH – CEO of Evolution Health and President-Elect of NAEMSP
- Paul Hinchey, MD, MPH – Senior Vice President Medical Operations of Evolution Health
- Tripp Winslow, MD, MPH – Medical Director for the NC Office of EMS
- Jose Cabanas, MD, MPH – Director and Medical Director of Wake County EMS
- Jefferson Williams, MD, MPH – Deputy Medical Director of Wake County EMS
- Phillip Moy, MD – Medical Director ARCH Air Medical Services
- Mark Quale, MD – Medical Director of Alamance County Emergency Services
- Stephanie Crapo, MD – Medical Director of NC State Highway Patrol and Division Chief of EMS at UNC Department of Emergency Medicine
- Diane Miller, MD, MS – Medical Director of Caswell County Emergency Services and Deputy Medical Director of the NC State Highway Patrol
- Stephanie Trowbridge, MD – Medical Director of Haywood County Emergency Services
- Joseph Grover, MD – Medical Director of Orange County Emergency Services
- Taibah Alabdrabalnabi, MD