Dear Teammates,

Across UNC Health this week we are celebrating both Hospital Week and Nurses Week. I hope you have the opportunity to enjoy a few of the special events that are taking place across the system, or just find a brief moment to reflect on the impacts you make each day for both your teammates and the patients we serve.

I don’t have to tell you, but, the last few years have been difficult. One consistent bright spot, however, are the messages that I receive from patients praising you for the care you are providing.

While each patient’s individual circumstances are unique, their letters usually highlight a few common points. They value the human touch and empathy you bring to the bedside. Here’s one example. “She spoke to me like I was a human. Each day, I saw her, she made what was unbearable bearable.  This might not seem like much, but for me, it was inspiring, supportive, and soul healing,” one patient wrote of her provider.

We talk a lot about patient experience. I’m not sure you could do better than “inspiring, supportive, and soul healing.”

Sincerely, there have been many times when receiving a note like this has helped me to remember and appreciate the value of our work. I hope this message might do that – at least in a small way – for you.

I am so appreciative of the work you do and proud to work alongside our One Great Team.

Sincerely,

Wesley