Program Components and Benefits
- Cohort summer experience
- Six-week summer internship in Central, Eastern, or Western North Carolina, working in a rural family practice with a preceptor and living in the community ($2,000 stipend included). Once accepted to the program, students will fill out a Student Background and Interest Form, which will help ensure they are placed with an appropriate preceptor.
- Scholars may also participate in mentoring opportunities with undergraduate university/college students and high school students interested in health careers.
- The Rural Medicine Curriculum is presented through “monthly group discussions” and runs through the foundation phase (year 2) of medical school. Topics will build on each other, developing a unique rural health knowledge base and skill set. Group discussions are designed to foster a professional, and supportive, rural scholar cohort.
- The small project component during the summer experience provides an opportunity to collaborate on community projects or research with the preceptor site and/or exposure to ongoing faculty, resident, and administrative research or programs.
- Opportunity to participate in a mission trip to Honduras (Led by Dr. Benjamin Gilmer-Asheville Kenan Faculty Lead.
Summer Project Examples, Placements and Reflections
See a map of placements and a video reflection from one of our 2020 summer Kenan Scholars
Vulnerable Populations and Diabetes
Increasing colonoscopy rates in Caswell County
Resource Use and Stress in Dementia Caregivers
Domestic Violence in Cherokee, NC
Nutritional Pamphlet for the Diabetic Hispanic Migrant Farmworker
Pre-Conception Counseling An Opportunity for Growth in Primary Care Clinics
Increasing Older Adult Access to Rural Community Resources
Primary Care Clinic Organization and Physician Burnout in Western, NC
- Social Opportunities
- Annual spring reception to recognize graduates and newly selected scholars
- Sessions with the Office of Rural Health of North Carolina to learn about potential opportunities for practice in North Carolina
- Professional Development conferences and events