Curriculum, Conferences, and Research
Training includes several longitudinal and rotation-based educational experiences designed to provide our fellows with critical, high-yield educational content necessary for success in their careers and on their Sports Medicine Certification Examinations.
- Fellowship boot camp – Over the first two weeks, faculty provide a high-yield review of critical topics in Sports Medicine with a focus on emergency management and other subjects relevant to event coverage.
- Fellows’ ultrasound course – Held jointly with other local fellowship programs, this course serves to introduce basic concepts of musculoskeletal ultrasound and begin building proficiency for diagnostic and procedural guidance applications.
- Weekly didactic conference – Held every Thursday, sessions alternate between expert faculty and staff lecturers and current fellows delivering their own talks on assigned high-yield sports medicine topics, with dedicated board preparation sessions interspersed.
- Longitudinal experiences – Throughout the year, fellows consistently spend time at Carolina Family Practice and Sports Medicine, Campus Health Sports Medicine, UNC Family Medicine Sports Medicine, UNC Orthopaedics, and 1 day/week of clinic of their primary specialty.
- Subspecialty rotations – Fellows spend 2-4 half days/week on subspecialty rotations which change every 2-4 weeks, including Sports Orthopaedic Surgery (includes operating room experiences), Musculoskeletal Procedures, Hand, Foot and Ankle, Spine (operative and non-operative), Musculoskeletal Radiology, Research, Physical Therapy, Strength and Conditioning and Sports Nutrition and more!
- AMSSM Fellows Research and Leadership Conference – Each July, fellows attend this 4-day national conference which focuses on developing research skills and leadership in Sports Medicine while making connections with fellows and faculty from across the country.
- Conference of the Carolinas – Held jointly with Steadman Hawkins Annual Sports Medicine Symposium and alternating annually between Chapel Hill, NC and Greenville, SC, this regional meeting of faculty and fellows from North and South Carolina provides an intimate setting to dive deeply into relevant Sports Medicine topics of the day and connect with regional colleagues.
- AMSSM Annual Meeting – The premier national conference for Primary Care Sports Medicine, fellows attend the AMSSM Annual Meeting to receive exceptional educational content and make clinical and research presentations to a national audience.
- ACSM Annual Meeting and World Congresses – This annual conference showcases the latest in exercise science and sports medicine. Fellows have the opportunity to liaise with international leaders across a broad array of disciplines in the field.
A core element of subspecialty training and required by the ACGME, through access to a broad range of faculty as well as broader university and community resources, our fellows attend the AMSSM Fellows Research and Leadership Conference, participate in research projects suited to their interests and often present their findings at the AMSSM Annual Meeting.