Visiting Resident Rotation in Primary Care Sports Medicine
Primary Care Sports Medicine Rotation for Residents Outside of UNC-Chapel Hill
The UNC Primary Care Sports Medicine Fellowship provides a two-week elective rotation for second- and third-year residents* interested in gaining more experience in Primary Care Sports Medicine training. Highlights of the rotation experience and requirements are noted below.
*For Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, the rotation is open to third- and fourth-year residents.
Primary Care Sports Medicine Rotation Highlights
- Working closely with the UNC Sports Medicine Faculty and Fellows in the Departments of Family Medicine and Orthopedic Surgery in high volume sports medicine clinics.
- Significant exposure to diagnostic and therapeutic use of MSK Ultrasound.
- Athletic training room experience with Division I collegiate athletes as well as local high school injury clinics.
- Attending weekly multidisciplinary sports medicine didactic sessions with Faculty and Fellows in Primary Care Sports Medicine, as well as Orthopedic Surgery, Musculoskeletal Radiology, Physical Therapy, Sports Psychology, Sports Nutrition, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, and more.
- Opportunity to participate in the medical coverage of mass athletic events.*
- Assisting with pre-participation physical exams.*
- Attending Orthopedic Surgery cadaver dissection and Journal Club sessions.*
- One-on-one session with the Primary Care Sports Medicine Fellowship program director to discuss a Roadmap to Fellowship and your goals as a future Sports Medicine physician.
*Dependent upon the time of year of the rotation.
- Residents who anticipate applying for Primary Care Sports Medicine fellowships are welcomed.
- A brief statement is requested by the resident that describes their interest in participating in the UNC-CH Sports Medicine rotation, including if they are interested in pursuing a Sports Medicine fellowship.
- Residents must provide a letter of good standing from their residency program director, as well as specification of medical liability coverage during the rotation.
- Availability to rotate during the last two weeks of the month in January, February, March, April, August, September and October.
- For international residents, only J-1 visas are accepted by the Graduate Medical Education office
Please complete the application form and forward all required documents and information to:
Applications for the 2022-2023 academic year are currently being accepted on a rolling basis. Applications must be received at least 3 months in advance (6 months for out-of-state applicants) and selections are made within 4 weeks from receipt of all required documents. The UNC Primary Care Sports Medicine Fellowship Faculty and Fellows look forward to working with you!
Frequently Asked Questions
Housing, transportation, and parking are not provided and will need to be arranged by the resident in advance. A list of nearby accommodations will be provided upon request. The resident is encouraged to have a car for attendance to the various clinics and sports medicine experiences during the rotation.
Business casual attire is required for clinics while polos and slacks may be worn for training room and sideline coverage.
Please contact Ashley Heidinger (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you are interested in learning more about the UNC Primary Care Sports Medicine visiting resident rotation opportunity.