Past Alumni & Friends Weekends
The 2018 Alumni & Friends weekend theme was “Innovation in Chronic Disease Prevention and Management,” and featured the Second Annual John T. Henley Lecture by Warren Newton MD, MPH. Watch video of Dr. Newton’s talk and recognition from Family Medicine faculty for his amazing work HERE.
Alumni & friends of UNC Family Medicine and Preventive Medicine Programs engaged a meaningful, fun, and inspirational weekend. View photos from the weekend here:
2018 Alumni Weekend Photos HERE
Photos from John T. Henley Lecture with Warren Newton HERE
Some of the activities the weekend offered:
- The Second Annual John T. Henley Lecture: Leadership and Professionalism: What do they mean for Family Physicians in April, 2018? by Warren Newton, MD, MPH, President and CEO Elect, American Board of Family Medicine; Director of NC AHEC. Moderated by Cristy Page, MD, MPH, Chair of UNC Family Medicine.
- Breakfast with physician writers Nicole Swiner, MD, Peter Curtis, MD, Peter Rizzolo, MD, and Jamila Battle, MD
- Special rapid-fire “Open Mic” session of alumni presentations moderated by Sam Weir, MD
- Special Reception and Dinner for alumni, faculty, residents, and friends
- 8.25 approved hours of CME credit for full weekend
11:30am-4:35pm (4 hours of CME credit)
- 11:30-12:00pm: Guests arrive, pick up lunch
- 11:50-1:15pm: John T. Henley Lecture
Leadership and Professionalism: What do they mean for Family Physicians in April, 2018?
Warren Newton, MD, MPH, President and CEO Elect, American Board of Family Medicine; Director of NC AHEC. Moderated by Cristy Page, MD, MPH, Chair of UNC Family Medicine. Video of Dr. Newton’s talk can be found HERE, slides of his talk can be found HERE: FRI 1 Newton – HENLEY 41318.
- 1:15pm: Break
- 1:30-2:10pm: “Chronic Disease Management During Pregnancy” – Narges Farahi, MD, UNC Family Medicine. View slides from the presentation HERE: FRI 2 Farahi – Chronic Disease and Pregnancy.
- 2:10-2:50pm: “Behavioral Interventions to Help Patients Lose Weight” – Adam Goldstein, MD, Laurel Sisler, LCSW, LCAS, CTTS, UNC Family Medicine, Nicotine Dependence Program. View slides from the presentation HERE: FRI 3 Behavioral counseling weight loss 4.13.18 FINAL.
- 2:50-3:05pm: Break
- 3:05-4:05pm: Updates on research, moderated by Philip Sloane, MD, MPH • “What is the Value of Home Glucose Monitoring?” by Katrina Donahue, MD, MPH. Slides HERE: FRI 4 Donahue FM Alumni Wkd • “Novel Strategies for Reducing Unnecessary Antibiotic Use” by Chrissy Kistler, MD, MASc. Slides HERE: FRI 4 KISTLER UNC Alumni Presentation 2018 • “Do We Have a Health Workforce Shortage?” by Erin Fraher, PhD. Slides HERE: FRI 4 Fraher Research Updates_DFM Alum Weekend_FINAL • “Missed Opportunities for HPV Immunization in US Adolescents” by Nadja Vielot, PhD. Slides HERE: VIELOT fammed updates on research 4.13.18 new
- 4:05-4:35pm: Rapid Fire “Open Mic” Session of Alumni Presentations, moderated by Sam Weir, MD, UNC Family Medicine
The “Open Mic” session is where we hear from you. In an under-5-minute segment, please tell us what important work you’re doing. We would love to hear from you – those interested in signing up for a short session, please contact Reid Johnson .
- 5:30 -7:00pm: Reception at Rizzo Center’s Meadowmont Courtyard
- 7:00-9:00pm: Dinner at Rizzo Center’s Meadowmont Grill