Family Medicine Summer Research Fellowship
Each summer, the Department of Family Medicine will accept up to eight first year medical students for a 2-month, paid fellowship designed to provide a flexible but high quality research experience. The Fellowship will help match students with faculty who have ongoing, exciting projects that are relevant to clinical medicine and/or population health. In addition to one-on-one mentorship by faculty, our summer research fellows will participate in structured seminars and spend time in clinical settings with Family Medicine residents and faculty.
Why become a Fellow?
Selection and participation in UNC Family Medicine Research Fellows program will give you:
- A formal mentorship program that includes a primary faculty mentor and weekly meetings with other faculty and students
- Participation in research
- Opportunity to work in clinical settings,
- Education and experience in research methodology and project management
- Education and experience with data collection, data management, and data analysis
- Publishing and presentation options with guidance from faculty
- Connectivity with like-minded faculty, residents, and students towards a common goal
- A stipend to conduct research during the summer
The goal of the UNC Family Medicine Research Fellows Program is to provide innovative enthusiastic students with a mentored experience in meaningful Family Medicine research. The UNC program begins in late May and continues through the summer months until early August (with time for a scheduled vacation). Continuation beyond August is contingent upon project status, student capacity/availability, and funding. Research Fellows will always be welcome at future didactic sessions, departmental events, as well as continue to enjoy faculty mentorship and a nurturing relationship with the Department of Family Medicine.
The process is easy….
Step 1: Be interested in Primary Care and/or Community Health
Step 2: Check out the list of Family Medicine faculty and their areas of interest and projects here.
Step 3: Contact the faculty member associated with your area of interest for a preliminary, informal interview.
Step 4: Complete the Research Fellows in Family Medicine application below.
Timelines and Deadlines:
Decisions are first come, first served so early applications is encouraged. Application window will close in April.
Summer Project Season: June 1- July 31, 2020
Didactic Sessions: Weekly (dates & times TBD)