Family Medicine Summer Research Fellowship
Each summer, the Department of Family Medicine will accept up to eight first year medical students for a 10-week, paid fellowship designed to provide a flexible but high quality research experience. The Fellowship will help match students with faculty who have ongoing, exciting projects that are relevant to clinical medicine and/or population health. In addition to one-on-one mentorship by faculty, our summer research fellows will participate in structured seminars and spend time in clinical settings with Family Medicine residents and faculty. NEW for 2019….opportunities in Asheville and Wilmington!
Why become a Fellow?
Selection and participation in UNC Family Medicine Research Fellows program will give you:
- A formal mentorship program that includes a primary faculty mentor and weekly meetings with other faculty and students
- Participation in research
- Opportunity to work in clinical settings,
- Education and experience in research methodology and project management
- Education and experience with data collection, data management, and data analysis
- Publishing and presentation options with guidance from faculty
- Connectivity with like-minded faculty, residents, and students towards a common goal
- A stipend to conduct research during the summer
The goal of the UNC Family Medicine Research Fellows Program is to provide innovative enthusiastic students with a mentored experience in meaningful Family Medicine research. The UNC program begins in late May and continues through the summer months until early August (with time for a scheduled vacation). Continuation beyond August is contingent upon project status, student capacity/availability, and funding. Research Fellows will always be welcome at future didactic sessions, departmental events, as well as continue to enjoy faculty mentorship and a nurturing relationship with the Department of Family Medicine.
The process is easy….
Step 1: Be interested in Primary Care and/or Community Health
Step 2: Check out the list of Family Medicine faculty and their areas of interest and projects here.
Step 3: Contact the faculty member associated with your area of interest for a preliminary, informal interview.
Step 4: Complete the Research Fellows in Family Medicine application below.
Timelines and Deadlines:
Decisions are first come, first served.
Application CLOSED for 2019. Thank you for your interest! Application for 2020 will open in January!
Summer Project Season: June & July, 2020
Didactic Sessions: Tuesdays