Skip to main content

Discovery Through Research

Research is an important component of the work performed by the Memory Disorders Clinic at the University of North Carolina Chapel Hill. In addition to providing important clinical care to the North Carolina community, the Memory Disorders Clinic coordinates a number of research studies investigating memory disorders.


Please click on the tabs below to explore some of our on going studies:

 

A Phase 3 Study to Evaluate Efficacy and Safety of AL001 in Frontotemporal Dementia (INFRONT-3)

The INFRONT-3 trial, sponsored by Alector Inc, is testing the efficacy of the IV-administered drug, AL001, in slowing down the progression of frontotemporal degeneration (FTD) in people with a progranulin gene mutation. 

You are eligible to participate if: 

  1. You have a progranulin mutation and are at risk of developing FTD as evidenced by a biomarker 
  2. You have been diagnosed with FTD and have the progranulin (GRN) mutation. 

This 2-year, blind study includes one study visit each month for drug administration and occasional blood tests, brain imaging, questionnaires, and medical monitoring.  60% of participants will receive the drug and 40% will receive the placebo. All participants may be offered the open-label extension, in which they are guaranteed to receive drug, at the end of participation. At-home genetic testing to determine if you have the GRN mutation or other FTD-related mutations is available through the trial at no cost to you if you qualify. 

Please call us at 919-962-8852 if have the progranulin mutation or are interested in genetic testing to determine if you have the mutation.

ARTFL LEFFTDS Longitudinal Frontotemporal Lobar Degeneration (ALLFTD)

ALLFTD is a multisite observational research study aimed at understanding how frontotemporal lobar degeneration (FTD or FTLD) syndromes affect the brain. This research study has a longitudinal option, consisting of one study visit a year (including fasting blood draw, cognitive testing, clinical assessment, questionnaires, MRI brain imaging and optional lumbar puncture and genetic testing) for up to five years, and a biofluid option, which is a shorter one-time visit.

Frontotemporal degeneration syndromes may include behavioral variant FTD (bvFTD), Progressive Supranuclear Palsy (PSP), semantic variant or nonfluent variant primary progressive aphasia (svPPA or nfvPPA), or FTD with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (FTD/ALS).

To be eligible for the study, you must:

  1. Have a referring diagnosis of an FTLD clinical syndrome, be a member of a family with a strong medical history of an FTLD syndrome, or have a known genetic mutation associated with FTD.
  2. Have a reliable study partner who you talk with at least once a week

If you are interested in learning more about the study, please email us at ALLFTD@neurology.unc.edu or call us at 919-843-8673. You can also learn more at the ALLFTD website, https://www.allftd.org/.

Biogen Intuition

By using an iPhone and Apple Watch, this study is evaluating how devices may be able to help measure thinking and memory changes in adults with mild cognitive impairment. If you do not have an Apple Watch, the study will provide one!  Participants in this study are asked to download a mobile app and wear an Apple Watch during their daily activities. The mobile app includes cognitive games and questionnaires once a month while the Apple Watch tracks daily data like heart rate and step count.  Eligible participants must: 

  1. Have a diagnosis of “Mild Cognitive Impairment” or “MCI” and have had a medical and neurological evaluation in the last 24 months 
  2. Own an iPhone 8, or newer model, and are willing to wear an Apple Watch every day 
  3. Are 21-86 years of age, fluent in English, and have at least 8 years of education 
  4. Have access to a computer and internet 
  5. Have an email address, telephone number, and primary address within the US (not a PO box)

Please contact Luigi Troiani troianil@neurology.unc.edu +1 (919) 843-2579 to learn more about the study. 

Cognition Therapeutics (COG1201)

An oral medication, CT1812, is being investigated for the potential treatment of Dementia with Lewy Bodies (DLB). The purpose of this clinical trial is to learn about the safety of CT1812 and how well your body tolerates a once-a-day dose of CT1812. The study will also test how well CT1812 treats symptoms of mild to moderate DLB. Eligible participants will have a 2 out of 3 (66.6%) chance of receiving CT1812 and a 1 out of 3 (33.3%) chance of receiving placebo (sugar pill).

To be eligible for the 6-month study, the following criteria must be met:

  1. Must have a caregiver/ study partner
  2. Willingness to undergo a lumbar puncture (LP) during the screening period and at the end of the 6-month treatment period.
  3. Formal education of eight or more years.
  4. Reside at home or in an assisted living facility.
  5. Must be able to complete all screening evaluations
  6. Must be between the ages of 50 and 85 and have a diagnosis of Dementia with Lewy Bodies.

If you are interested in learning more about the study, please contact our study coordinator Latorius Adams at adamsl@neurology.unc.edu or (919) 962-2900.

DLBC - Dementia with Lewy Bodies Consortium

DLBC is an observational research study aimed at learning more about Dementia with Lewy Bodies. The trial focuses on identifying biomarkers associated with the disease. DLBC consists of one research visit approximately once a year for up to 5 years, which includes a lumbar puncture or spinal tap, fasting blood draw, brain imaging (MRI and DaTScan), cognitive testing, a clinical assessment, and questionnaires. 

To be eligible for the study, you must:

  1. Have a diagnosis or probable Dementia with Lewy Bodies, Dementia with Lewy Bodies with mild cognitive impairment (MCI), or Parkinson’s disease dementia
  2. Have a study partner who is willing to participate in required study procedures 
  3. Have at least 8 years of education.

For questions or to participate in the study, please email us at DLBC@neurology.unc.edu or call us at 919-843-8673.

Learn more about Lewy Body Dementia here: UNC Neurology, Lewy Body Dementia

Duke-UNC Alzheimer's Disease Research Center's Memory & Aging Study

The Duke University and the University of North Carolina Alzheimer’s Disease Research Center (Duke-UNC ADRC) brings together leading researchers in Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias across two major research institutions.

The ADRC aims to catalyze and support research, innovations in clinical care and academic work force development (with North Carolina Central University, East Carolina University and UNC Pembroke as partner institutions) in this field. The ultimate purpose is to reduce the burden of Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias regionally and nationally. The outstanding scientific environment at both institutions enables novel research to identify effective methods of prevention and/or early intervention, and to reduce racial and urban/rural disparities associated with dementia.

If you are interested in learning more about the study, please contact our study coordinator Latorius Adams at adamsl@neurology.unc.edu or (919) 962-2900.

Learn more about Duke-UNC ADRC and the Alzheimer’s Disease Research Center’s Memory & Aging Study here.

NC Registry for Brain Health in Aging

The NC Registry for Brain Health is the first registry of its kind in the State of North Carolina. The Registry is designed to increase awareness of Alzheimer’s disease and related disorders and to connect North Carolinians of all ages to research opportunities designed to improve brain health.

When you join the NC Registry for Brain Health, you will learn about research taking place at Duke University, East Carolina University, North Carolina A&T State University, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and Wake Forest School of Medicine.

All adults ages 18 or older are encouraged to join the registry.  When you join, you will receive a welcome email followed by a quarterly email newsletter which provides the most recent information about brain health research.  In addition, you will receive the occasional email which will provide you with information about a study opportunity. If you are interested in participating, you will contact the study coordinator listed in the email. 

To learn more and to join the registry please go to: https://ncbrainhealth.org/ 

Or you can contact Latroius Adams at adamsl@neurology.unc.edu

Transposon Trial (TPN-101-C9-201)

DNA Double HelixTransposon Therapeutics, Inc. is investigating the safety and tolerability of TPN-101, an oral medication, in patients with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) and/or Frontotemporal Dementia (FTD) associated with a mutation in the C9orf72 gene. Eligible participants have a 60% chance of receiving TPN-101 and a 40% chance of receiving placebo (sugar pill) during the 24-week double-blind treatment period and a 100% chance of receiving TPN-101 during the subsequent 24-week open-label treatment period.

To be eligible for this 58-week (1.1 year) study, you must:

  1. Have the C9orf72 mutation as confirmed by clinical genetic testing
  2. Have a caregiver/study partner accompany you at all visits
  3. Be on stable doses of all other medications for 1 month prior to screening
  4. Be diagnosed with ALS and/or FTD

Please contact study coordinator Shaina Roth at roths@neurology.unc.edu or (919) 843-6880 if you are interested in participating.