UNC Division of Stroke and Vascular Neurology
The Division of Stroke and Vascular Neurology of the UNC Department of Neurology is the academic and administrative home of the UNC Hospitals Comprehensive Stroke Center. The Division’s faculty is comprised of four experienced stroke neurologists: Drs. , Michael Wang, Michael Forbes, James Pham Ho and Dena Little, DO; and a stroke nurse practitioner, . Faculty members are actively involved in the care of stroke patients in the hospital and in the outpatient setting. Educating medical students, house staff, providers and patients is an important mission of the Division, and each faculty member is actively involved in hospital- and community-based outreach and teaching.
The Division is actively involved in clinical stroke research, and stroke treatment and prevention trials/studies are conducted by the UNC Stroke Trials Unit. The Unit recruits patients 24/7 with the help of on-call clinical trial coordinators.
The UNC Stroke Clinic
Outpatient post-stroke care and stroke prevention services are provided in the UNC Stroke Clinic attended by our stroke neurologists. The clinic provides many services including:
- Follow-up after a hospitalization for an acute stroke
- Management of post-stroke recovery
- Stroke/TIA risk screening
- Evaluation and management of carotid stenosis and other cerebrovascular diseases
- Stroke education for patients and their families
- Referrals to the Departments of Neurosurgery, Interventional Neuroradiology, Vascular Surgery, Cardiology, and Physiatry